Macros and herbivores

CNDReef

Formally Toomanyfish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m looking to make my tank a little more natural and incorporate some macros in it. What types of macros can be used with herbivores?

Larry L

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had various types of Halimeda in my tank and nobody has ever seemed interested in eating it.

cristata.reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Red Palm Macro (Halipton spp.) is a gorgeous red macro that is pretty tough and most herbivores won't be able to eat it. I had a sea hare that tried to eat it and succeeded in taking a single leaflet off over the course of an hour or so. Also other types of calciferous algae like Halimeda, Udotea, Penicillus, and Rhipocephalus will avoid being eaten as well (unless you have lettuce sea slugs which eat these as their natural food source). Oh and before I forget, branching coralline algae like Galaxaura and Jania (I think someone was selling some galaxaura here a few weeks ago...)

OP
OP
CNDReef

CNDReef

Formally Toomanyfish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks , that’s a lot of information to take in at once lol
Definitely have to look all those up.

cristata.reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks , that’s a lot of information to take in at once lol
Definitely have to look all those up.

Lol I tend to give out too much info when I reply on these forums. Anyhow there's plenty of other macros that I could list off. I'm working on an app rn that will include a definitive list of macros (among fish, corals, inverts, etc), including ones you've never even heard of... (lol ever heard of Solieria before?). It'll be done...eventually. Also before I forget, Gelidium is another red macro that nothing will eat but it's kind of a weed

Rispa

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol I tend to give out too much info when I reply on these forums. Anyhow there's plenty of other macros that I could list off. I'm working on an app rn that will include a definitive list of macros (among fish, corals, inverts, etc), including ones you've never even heard of... (lol ever heard of Solieria before?). It'll be done...eventually. Also before I forget, Gelidium is another red macro that nothing will eat but it's kind of a weed
I look forward to seeing your app too!

I had good luck with grape calurpa with a lawnmower blenny.

MPS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve got some Red Ogo growing in my fuge. I’m trying to get it to grow in the display but my little tang won’t leave it alone long enough for it to take hold; eats it down to the stub in a day. I’m still hoping that I can get it to stick and become a sustainable food source for my clown tang.

cristata.reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good luck with the app
Definitely post it up so I can find more pretty macros. That red palm is beautiful

I look forward to seeing your app too!

I had good luck with grape calurpa with a lawnmower blenny.

If y'all are interested in the app, I just talked with the other developer I'm working with and we've agreed to drop the price temporarily ($4 down to $1.99) Currently it's mainly just a fish ID guide but we plan on adding a bunch of stuff. The best part; we're a new app so if you want to see something done we might be able to incorporate it. The app is called ReefApp Encyclopedia made by Kasper Tygesen.

iOS App Store: https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/reef-app-encyclopedia/id1077941725?mt=8
Google Play Store: https://play.google.com/store/apps/...global-none-all-co-pr-py-PartBadges-Oct1515-1

Rispa

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If y'all are interested in the app, I just talked with the other developer I'm working with and we've agreed to drop the price temporarily ($4 down to $1.99) Currently it's mainly just a fish ID guide but we plan on adding a bunch of stuff. The best part; we're a new app so if you want to see something done we might be able to incorporate it. The app is called ReefApp Encyclopedia made by Kasper Tygesen.

iOS App Store: https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/reef-app-encyclopedia/id1077941725?mt=8
Google Play Store: https://play.google.com/store/apps/...global-none-all-co-pr-py-PartBadges-Oct1515-1
Awesome. I hope this database never stops growing

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 11 45.8%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 12 50.0%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 1 4.2%
Back