MAG LEVELS

Theducatiman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good morning everyone,

Quick question about Mag levels. I use Tropic Marin Pro Reef Salt and my Mag levels are consistently 1490-1500. The only thing I dose is 8.5ml of soda ash to stabilize the Alk levels. Testing is done through the Trident and was also verified with a Triton test.

I am not overly concerned with this now, but just wondering what happens if it gets higher and keeps climbing?

Thanks for you input

Brandon

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good morning everyone,

Quick question about Mag levels. I use Tropic Marin Pro Reef Salt and my Mag levels are consistently 1490-1500. The only thing I dose is 8.5ml of soda ash to stabilize the Alk levels. Testing is done through the Trident and was also verified with a Triton test.

I am not overly concerned with this now, but just wondering what happens if it gets higher and keeps climbing?

Thanks for you input

Brandon
Unless you dose, it's not possible to get any higher than the salt mixes.

OP
OP
Theducatiman

Theducatiman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unless you dose, it's not possible to get any higher than the salt mixes.
7F325FBF-F1D9-4BE0-B03F-1EECF699F018.png

I understand that, but I promise there is nothing being dosed into the tank. The DoS that doses Cal and Mag is and hasn’t been on for some time.

Jekyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How is your salinity being tested? Has it been calibrated? Gotten a second test done to verify results?

OP
OP
Theducatiman

Theducatiman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is being tested with the Trident and verified with Hannah Tester. I also mix my own water 90 Gallons at a time.
Is it possible to have high Mag levels in my fresh/ro water?

Jekyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is being tested with the Trident and verified with Hannah Tester. I also mix my own water 90 Gallons at a time.
Is it possible to have high Mag levels in my fresh/ro water?
Not familiar with either of those tests personally. Do they require calibration? I've seen others with these issues in the past from not using calibration liquid and using RO instead.

OP
OP
Theducatiman

Theducatiman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not familiar with either of those tests personally. Do they require calibration? I've seen others with these issues in the past from not using calibration liquid and using RO instead.
Its actually not the Trident testing the Salinity but the Neptune Apex and it gets calibrated every few months. The Hannah tester monthly. They are usually .1 within each other and both use a calibration solution. The Neptune Trident gets calibrated every time the reagents get replaced.

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You have a carx? Use arm media?
I didn't notice when the box came but it says high magnesium. I have had a problem yet running 1600+ for months. I was using a salifert kit but switched to aquaforest.

Screenshot_20220718-121840_APEX Fusion.jpg

Terry Le

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Mag is at 1600 + and i am not dosing anything beside ALK, CA water change every 2 weeks with Reef Crystal

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m not really talking about it rising, but the fact it mixes so high.
“I am not overly concerned with this now, but just wondering what happens if it gets higher and keeps climbing?”

That's what I was responding to.

It won’t keep rising if it is due to the salt mix, although I think test error in salinity or magnesium is the mostly explanation for 1600 ppm magnesium in Reef Crystals, unless the bucket was settled and you only used a part of it.

Back