Maggie's Mixed Reef Build V3, now a 75!

Projects with Sam

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
This is one of my two and are def. Springeri damsel they love pests i see em going after amphipods all the time...
20230423_175241.jpg
mine looks like that took and he is forever banned to the sump. you're welcome to him.

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
My lfs carries them so i didnt need to worry....
Mine don't.. They are very limited, the fact I got my solar wrasse was a miracle. or anyfish there.
But this is the picture salty underground uses. I just don't know if this is what they will ship me ;_;
springer-damsel-chrysiptera-springeri.jpg

tbrown

Nominated Cronie Intern - Might be failing?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
In the pic I took in the store my phone really distorted the color, in person the tails were not yellow but rather clear with a slight blue tint.

Stores' order sheet listed them as the springeri type so if they are wrong it's from the diver or wholesaler at some point.

I talked with the owner of the store for a while about them, he says he usually orders different ones, these were a type he usually doesn't order, and he got in other of his normal order types.

He's not 100% sure about the exact species either, we were both looking at comparison photos and trying to nail it down but didn't come to a conclusion. Thinking maybe the juvenile colors were more bland and they might gain those black flecks with age?

I sure didn't want to chance them with my display, but since I can monitor them in another tank I think I'll try. I like the activity of all the damsels but not the aggressiveness.

Another question, will they show their true nature if they are by themselves? Or will they seem ok enough to let me release them to the big tank only to change to a holes and make me question life choices?

I love how I start out confident and by the time I type things out I'm already second guessing myself. That's why it helps to talk things out I guess.
Those sound like the ones I ended up with. One has very few specks, the other has the stripes/marbling throughout. Both have the clear looking blue tails. I'm fairly certain mine are a male and female.

Both of mine are mostly model citizens.

danieyella

unfriendly local swamp witch
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine don't.. They are very limited, the fact I got my solar wrasse was a miracle. or anyfish there.
But this is the picture salty underground uses. I just don't know if this is what they will ship me ;_;
springer-damsel-chrysiptera-springeri.jpg
I've never had an issue with them sending me something different. I've had doa problems from them, but every time courtesy of shipping company delays and they've always been really good about making it right.

OP
OP
Mhamilton0911

Mhamilton0911

BitterSalty
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did get the damsels. Honestly I was still a little unsure at the store, me and the owner talked and stared at the tank for a while, but after looking at so many damsel pictures, he had a great book it was old school but it worked, we both thought it had to be the springeri.

I thought, well, I have the frag tank, I'll put them in there until I know for sure. Bagging them they all went black, honestly pretty cool how fast they turn black to hide and and quickly they go back to blue. I remember reading that.

At home they instantly colored blue and have the black flecks. So pretty in my lights. Stores' lights were not becoming of them.

I did get 3, I wanted to see how they interact as a group, and I'll likely keep them in here for a little while so I can see the interactions between them. So far they all huddle together. They ate calmly, and are exploring. Not much going on in the frag tank though so I'm sure they'll act different once I add them to the bigger tank.

IMG_20230425_143955914_HDR.jpg

tbrown

Nominated Cronie Intern - Might be failing?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I did get the damsels. Honestly I was still a little unsure at the store, me and the owner talked and stared at the tank for a while, but after looking at so many damsel pictures, he had a great book it was old school but it worked, we both thought it had to be the springeri.

I thought, well, I have the frag tank, I'll put them in there until I know for sure. Bagging them they all went black, honestly pretty cool how fast they turn black to hide and and quickly they go back to blue. I remember reading that.

At home they instantly colored blue and have the black flecks. So pretty in my lights. Stores' lights were not becoming of them.

I did get 3, I wanted to see how they interact as a group, and I'll likely keep them in here for a little while so I can see the interactions between them. So far they all huddle together. They ate calmly, and are exploring. Not much going on in the frag tank though so I'm sure they'll act different once I add them to the bigger tank.

You can always toss 1 in the frag tank if it's getting picked on too.

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

I really think those are springeris. They just have those markings.

OP
OP
Mhamilton0911

Mhamilton0911

BitterSalty
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really think those are springeris. They just have those markings.
Yeah I'm sure they're right. All 3 look identical, just couldn't get all 3 in one shot. Really love that look, they'll look great in the big tank.

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Gill flukes? Bottom of the gills.
Hopefully just damage , you could FW dip and see ,if you can ??

Set it and forget it: Do you change your aquascape as your corals grow?

• I regularly change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 12 8.8%
  • I occasionally change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 38 27.7%
  • I rarely change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 66 48.2%
  • I never change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 18 13.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.2%
Back