Magnesium dropping considerably. Daily dosing!

Nanolifeuk

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Jun 2, 2021
Messages
152
Reaction score
77
Location
Blackburn
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am dosing iquatics kh buffer daily (0.3g) to maintain kh 8.4

Whilst calcium stays steady at 420-400, magnesium is dropping. I am dosing magnesium salt every day to maintain at 1360.
Without this it falls to around 1200. Even a water change will lower it to 1290.

salt params are way higher and I’ve even tested fresh saltwater to make sure it’s not this.

ultimately. I read a lot that people don’t need y does mg daily. So is this normal?

*60L tank, 14month old
 
I am dosing iquatics kh buffer daily (0.3g) to maintain kh 8.4

Whilst calcium stays steady at 420-400, magnesium is dropping. I am dosing magnesium salt every day to maintain at 1360.
Without this it falls to around 1200. Even a water change will lower it to 1290.

salt params are way higher and I’ve even tested fresh saltwater to make sure it’s not this.

ultimately. I read a lot that people don’t need y does mg daily. So is this normal?

*60L tank, 14month old

That drop must be either test error, or a salinity drop.

To have a real drop of 100 ppm of magnesium requires consumption at the same time of at least about 140 dKH of alk and about 1,000 ppm of calcium.
 
I use Salifert tests. Do u think maybe dosing kh buffer affects the reagents in the mg test kit?
 
You probably want to get a second test done at your LFS to verify results. Unless your salinity dropped dramatically there is no mechanism to reduce magnesium that much daily.
 
yesterday mag = 1370
Today = 1280

Did both tests twice? Are you sure there’s nothing in the tank that can absorb it up?

Absolutely positive. There’s no mechanism to allow that to happen except a large drop in salinity.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

HOW DO YOU USUALLY MOVE WATER DURING A WATER CHANGE?

  • Buckets

    Votes: 1 33.3%
  • A siphon or gravel-vac hose

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A pump and hose

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A dedicated mixing station

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A plumbed or automated system

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A combination of these

    Votes: 2 66.7%
  • Whatever container is clean at the time

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Water changes? We don't need no stinkin' water changes!

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new