magnesium Q

authentic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
does raising magnesium have a direct relationship to alkalinity increasing if using a calcium reactor with the effluent remaining the same?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The magnesium level in the water will have little effect on the effluent of a CaCO3/CO2 reactor.

It can have an impact on consumption of alk and calcium in the aquarium, depending on what levels you are talking about. The direction may depend on the system details.

Very low magnesium may limit some organisms (perhaps coralline algae) and thereby reduce consumption, but it also increases the potential for abiotic precipitation of calcium carbonate, increasing consumption.

Very high magnesium may limit some organisms (perhaps snails) and possibly boost others (possibly coralline algae) and thereby reduce or increase consumption, but it also reduces the potential for abiotic precipitation of calcium carbonate, decreasing consumption.

diver22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, I need to dose magnesium I'm cannot get above 1200 and was wondering which one i can buy to mix myself instead of Brightwell products that can get pricey ?

Thanks,

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, I need to dose magnesium I'm cannot get above 1200 and was wondering which one i can buy to mix myself instead of Brightwell products that can get pricey ?

Thanks,

How do you know it is low? Which kit? Nota ll are super reliable.

Have you measured salinity? What is it and how?

Low magnesium , when real, if often just low salinity.

That said, here are my DIY recipes:

Do-It-Yourself Magnesium Supplements for the Reef Aquarium by Randy Holmes-Farley - Reefkeeping.com

diver22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How do you know it is low? Which kit? Nota ll are super reliable.

Have you measured salinity? What is it and how?

Low magnesium , when real, if often just low salinity.

That said, here are my DIY recipes:

Do-It-Yourself Magnesium Supplements for the Reef Aquarium by Randy Holmes-Farley - Reefkeeping.com
Randy I use the Salifert test kit, but checking my salinity im at 0.23 which is a bit low, this weekend Im schedule for my water change, currently mag is at 1200 so maybe what your saying once I do my water change and raise salinity to 0.25 I will test again…

thank you again,,,

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Randy I use the Salifert test kit, but checking my salinity im at 0.23 which is a bit low, this weekend Im schedule for my water change, currently mag is at 1200 so maybe what your saying once I do my water change and raise salinity to 0.25 I will test again…

thank you again,,,

Raising the sg from 1.023 to 1.0264 (35 ppt) will boost magnesium from 1200 to 1377 ppm, more than enough. :)

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, thank you so much… thank god we have reefers like you that have a wealth of knowledge especially in chemicals and are willing to help us newbies…. Thank you again….

lol

You're welcome.

Happy Reefing. :)

BigSkyRich

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The magnesium level in the water will have little effect on the effluent of a CaCO3/CO2 reactor.

It can have an impact on consumption of alk and calcium in the aquarium, depending on what levels you are talking about. The direction may depend on the system details.

Very low magnesium may limit some organisms (perhaps coralline algae) and thereby reduce consumption, but it also increases the potential for abiotic precipitation of calcium carbonate, increasing consumption.

Very high magnesium may limit some organisms (perhaps snails) and possibly boost others (possibly coralline algae) and thereby reduce or increase consumption, but it also reduces the potential for abiotic precipitation of calcium carbonate, decreasing consumption.
Hi Randy. So I'm trying to reduce mag levels cause I did something stupid. I'm performing daily water changes to try and get it under control. It's going slow, but making progress. I read your article in another forum. Wondering if what I'm doing is best practice. Thanks

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Randy. So I'm trying to reduce mag levels cause I did something stupid. I'm performing daily water changes to try and get it under control. It's going slow, but making progress. I read your article in another forum. Wondering if what I'm doing is best practice. Thanks

If lowering magnesium is the goal, there no other way than water changes with a mix that has lower magnesium than the tank, and the lower the better in the new mix in this context.

BigSkyRich

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If lowering magnesium is the goal, there no other way than water changes with a mix that has lower magnesium than the tank, and the lower the better in the new mix in this context.

Thanks. Just using IO so I guess steady as she goes. Thanks again for your response

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 44 48.9%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 48 53.3%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 21 23.3%
  • None.

Votes: 23 25.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 10.0%
Back