Magnesium Salt Replacing Sea Salt

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

DCharbs

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been dosing BRS Two Part due to ease and reliability. Like many I learn something new every day in this hobby. It's time to dose my gallon of Magnesium, and wouldn't ya know it, it's also time for a water change. So, I poured my gallon of magnesium solution into my 5 gallon bucket, topped it off with RODI water, and tested the salinity before adding my Reef Crystal's. Salinity reads 1.029 without reef crystals (I'll dilute down to 1.024 and pull a little extra out to match my current system salinity). So, my question is, can I replace my 5 gallons with magnesium salts v. Reef Crystals without dramatic affect to tank chemistry, corals, or fish?

tjnorthdakota

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what is your tank info and current magnesium level? A full gallon of mag salts seems like it would be way overkill unless you have a huge tank and low magnesium level.

OP
OP
DCharbs

DCharbs

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what is your tank info and current magnesium level? A full gallon of mag salts seems like it would be way overkill unless you have a huge tank and low magnesium level.
Yup, you are correct. Overkill. Closer to 20oz, not a gallon. Thanks for the check on my learning curve. Should have read the directions before I posted!

tjnorthdakota

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you test your mag level? Personally I rarely if ever have to add magnesium. If you do regular water changes and have a low coral load chances are your tank doesnt need it. Also mag salts are no replacement for reef salt which is chemically very different and contains many more elements corals need.

OP
OP
DCharbs

DCharbs

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you test your mag level? Personally I rarely if ever have to add magnesium. If you do regular water changes and have a low coral load chances are your tank doesnt need it. Also mag salts are no replacement for reef salt which is chemically very different and contains many more elements corals need.
Thanks. That's what I was looking for. I test for mag about once per month. Seems to be about all i need. As you said, low coral load. I have only needed to add mag about once every 3 months. Thanks again.

p7willm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
More than a specific level of any material fish, coral, and stuff like to have a steady level of material. If you test and find something is off it is far better to raise/lower it slowly over a bunch of days rather than dump a bunch in and get the level changed now.

AcroNem

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with the others. Although magnesium is the second most abundant ionic salt in seawater, it is no substitute. It'd just cause problems. Glad you didn't pour it in :)

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 26 39.4%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 16 24.2%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 22 33.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 3.0%
Back