Magnesium solution turned brown

  • Thread starter Thread starter reefaboo
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

reefaboo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Joined
May 6, 2013
Messages
1,184
Reaction score
396
Location
Chic-a-go
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hello Randy

so i used one of your recipes (5:3 i think) to make magnesium solution about 5 months or so back ..

most of the time my water changes take care of the magnesium demand so i dont use it much ..

over the time the solution actually lost that metallic odor and turned brown like a dirty water solution

is this normal ? ofcourse i dumped it and set out to make new but i already added some to the tank ..
 
The magnesium, chloride, and sulfate won't go bad. It might be something like iron slowly oxidizing and turning brown.

I wouldn't worry about it. :)
 
The magnesium, chloride, and sulfate won't go bad. It might be something like iron slowly oxidizing and turning brown.

I wouldn't worry about it. :)
Hi Randy,

I mixed a batch of mag chloride today and it went brown instantly, will that be an issue ?

thanks
 
Where did you obtain the Magnesium Chloride?
 
company in Queensland aus
The reason I asked is that it will contain impurities.

Whether or not those impurities are harmful will depend to a certain extent on the application the product has been designed for.

Products designed for industrial use are more likely to have bad stuff than a food grade product.

I source mine from ebay (Australia) and the food grade product I use has no residue or discolouration when mixed.

Do you know the intended purpose of the product?

edit: FYI, this is what I use.

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/353362368947?var=622529771163
 
The reason I asked is that it will contain impurities.

Whether or not those impurities are harmful will depend to a certain extent on the application the product has been designed for.

Products designed for industrial use are more likely to have bad stuff than a food grade product.

I source mine from ebay (Australia) and the food grade product I use has no residue or discolouration when mixed.

Do you know the intended purpose of the product?

edit: FYI, this is what I use.

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/353362368947?var=622529771163
it's purchased from a large aquarium supply shop in aus , the flake is a little discoloured in the bag before mixing even
 
Hard to know if it is an issue. Brown often means iron, which generally is not an issue.
I’ve just mixed my mag I’ve just been delivered and it’s gone brown as well is this not worth using my last lot of mag from another company was increasing my alkalinity
 

Attachments

  • IMG_6267.jpeg
    IMG_6267.jpeg
    139.9 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_6266.jpeg
    IMG_6266.jpeg
    136.9 KB · Views: 35

Attachments

  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    139.4 KB · Views: 35
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    113.1 KB · Views: 15
Ok just asking because I know others are way beyond me I’ll pour it through a filter sock for peace of mind thanks
 
Ok just asking because I know others are way beyond me I’ll pour it through a filter sock for peace of mind thanks
Do you think it’s not mixed properly or impurities because when I mixed it it was just brown water looks to me that it’s turned into a jelly consistency now I’ve put it through a filter sock
 

Attachments

  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    249 KB · Views: 14

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DO YOU USUALLY CHECK FIRST WHEN YOU LOOK AT YOUR REEF?

  • A particular fish I enjoy watching

    Votes: 1 2.1%
  • The fish population—making sure everyone is accounted for

    Votes: 13 27.7%
  • Coral extension, color, or growth

    Votes: 16 34.0%
  • Recent additions or other changes

    Votes: 5 10.6%
  • Water clarity or the surface

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Equipment and water movement

    Votes: 1 2.1%
  • Signs of algae, pests, or trouble

    Votes: 3 6.4%
  • I just enjoy the whole scene

    Votes: 5 10.6%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 3 6.4%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new