Magnesium

Strongreefer85

New Member
View Badges
Joined
May 28, 2024
Messages
3
Reaction score
15
Location
Island Lake
What state or country do you live in
Illinois
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t want to make another thread but can’t seem to find one that suits me.

So I way way over dosed alk. Like to a level of 15dkh over dosed. So I did some water changes. Somewhere along the line I got precipitate. I have waited the 4 days just to make sure it cleared up and cleaned up the glass and all my equipment. I tested my mag and it was at 710. I have the BRS pharma 2 part jug mix that comes with the 2 part mag. After doing a bunch of research here everything I’ve read says to try and get mag up first and it’s important. Over all after using BRS calculator it calls for 6234 ml. I have added so far over 3 days 3740 ml. I also tested my alk and I’m sitting at 5.2. So I dosed 340ml of alk today. My problem is I cannot get mg to register it is going up whatsoever. At most I can make 45 gallons of clean water and I use Red Sea pro salt. Can someone please give me some insite.
 
How many gallons is your tank?
 
The magnesium test kit is inaccurate. It’s actually common-practice to not test for magnesium at all. Many reefers report similar experiences to yours.

If 15dKH really precipitated, it could only deplete magnesium by less than 11ppm.

Magnesium cannot give large jumps. It moves EXTREMELY slowly.

Throw out the kit, and dose a balanced alk + ca + mg system.

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/just-say-no-to-magnesium-testing-rmm-is-born.1017528/
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT CHANGED THE MOST IN A FISH AS IT MATURED IN YOUR REEF?

  • Size or body shape

    Votes: 5 21.7%
  • Color or pattern

    Votes: 3 13.0%
  • Personality or confidence

    Votes: 2 8.7%
  • Aggression or territorial behavior

    Votes: 6 26.1%
  • Feeding habits

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Social behavior or bonding

    Votes: 5 21.7%
  • It really hasn’t changed much

    Votes: 1 4.3%
  • Something else (Tell us what I didn't think of)

    Votes: 1 4.3%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new