Magnificent Anemone Troubles

bradb14

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys, I bought this massive 50cm magnificent anemone with a tank. I asked an LFS to look after it while the tank is getting ready and they agreed, now a month later I got it back and it’s completely different. Probably a quarter of the size, short stubby tentacles, slightly different colouration etc.

I just wanted to find out what’s wrong with it and if it will ever recover and look like it used to? Posted before and after pics. It’s still sticky and it’s foot can attach and it does catch krill.

20CF167B-5F25-42BE-9A12-A158845FF185.png F4B544B2-F8A5-4714-9220-16181FAE81CC.jpeg

EvanDeVita

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t have experience with elegance anemones, but I have plenty with bubble tips. My anemone doesn’t open up to its fullest capacity 24/7. I’d say it’s normally at 75% size. I’ve got a clown hosting it, but that doesn’t have an affect on the anemones size. Every once in a while, it will fully extend for a day, and the go back to normal. If it’s catching food and moving around, I would worry. If you hadn’t told me it used to be bigger, I would say it’s perfectly fine.

Another thing: it could have split

OP
OP
B

bradb14

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t have experience with elegance anemones, but I have plenty with bubble tips. My anemone doesn’t open up to its fullest capacity 24/7. I’d say it’s normally at 75% size. I’ve got a clown hosting it, but that doesn’t have an affect on the anemones size. Every once in a while, it will fully extend for a day, and the go back to normal. If it’s catching food and moving around, I would worry. If you hadn’t told me it used to be bigger, I would say it’s perfectly fine.

Another thing: it could have split
Magnificent anemones do not split in captivity. Also, it is very stubby. It normally has really long, wavy tentacles. They kinda look like deadpools arm growing back.

argiBK

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Is that the same anemone? It doesn’t look like a Mag at all, maybe more like a H. crispa. Were you able to monitor the anemone while the LFS was caring for it? Hate to be cynical, but I would question if they returned the same anemone to you.

The anemone you received looks healthy, to the point where if the LFS took care of it properly that it would not shrink as much as yours did.

Also, mags splitting in captivity have been well documented and it does occur. Not quite as much as BTAs, but it’s very possible for it to happen.

chizerbunoi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It could be the same anemone. Hard to tell with the crappy lights from the 2nd picture. The anemones foot does not look like it’s mounted on a flat rock compared to your back wall pic. So it will not appear large and wide as it cannot expand its foot out.

gig 'em

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That second picture looks like an entirely different species to me. You sure they didn’t accidentally swap it on you?

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
More pictures, of the column and the mouth. It does not look like a Magnifica from initial glance

Spieg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While tentacles can extend or shrink, they don't reduce in number... There is no way those pictures are of the same anemone.

Sdot

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with what has been mentioned already, doesnt look like the same animal AT ALL. Mags are difficult anemones, do you think perhaps they replaced yours because it didnt do well in their care?

Sdot

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While tentacles can extend or shrink, they don't reduce in number... There is no way those pictures are of the same anemone.
I agree with this statement mostly, having a mag near deaths door; i can tell you they will reduce the number of tentacles, as well as change the appearance. This is normally associated with starvation however.

Death Phase
1609434448809.png

Bleached and starved Phase: Loss of color and short stubby tentacles
1609434561143.png

Recovery Phase: Return of color and lengthening of the tentacles
1609434628629.png

Recovered: Color returned, sticky, Tentacles normal length
1609434771278.png

1609434868055.png

Taylor t

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sadly, I have to agree... I would be impressed if it lost that many tents in a month, and still looked that way. It looks too healthy (considering) to lose so many tents in a month, and still look relatively robust, considering. First pic does appear to be a mag, second pic appears to be a BTA. Do you have a trust relationship with the LFS? Did you pay them to house it??? The world spins on money... Sure they didn’t pull one over? Just my opinion/ experience, if a mag went south, it shrinks and typically doesn’t lose tent density, and when a situation like this happens, deflating cycles usually are tough to stop without treatment. First pic is solid density tents. Second pic shows a struggling BTA density tent count. That’s a tough judgement based on provided pics, but I’d be skeptical based on pics.

but not sure. Do you have more pics of first nem before you gave it up?

OP
OP
B

bradb14

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys, sorry for the delay.

the LFS could very well have sold it. They ruined most of the stuff they kept for me (or lost it).

Anyone know what species this might be?

it is attached to a rock now and definitely not a bubble tips, I have plenty of those (red and green) but it has a very strong green tint.

I will post better pics of it now, it was a Pearl magnificent before.

if someone can correctly ID it, it will make my case against the LFS stronger.

it’s still alive, hosting a clown. Eats just fine too.

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Post pictures of the column and mouth and over all pictures of the anemone. Multiple if you can in white light and in focus pictures please.
Use a stick to lift the oral plate of the anemone to show the column as much as possible

OP
OP
B

bradb14

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Post pictures of the column and mouth and over all pictures of the anemone. Multiple if you can in white light and in focus pictures please.
Use a stick to lift the oral plate of the anemone to show the column as much as possible
EE5E1FDF-2CDF-42BC-BB52-C872FD6E0636.jpeg

It seems to be a sand anemone. M doreensis?

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is a M. doreensis, not a H. magnifica. Not the same anemone you initially have. That was what he looks like in the second picture of the initial post, but this last picture positively confirm it.

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 116 58.6%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 59 29.8%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 71 35.9%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 33 16.7%
  • Other

Votes: 58 29.3%
Back