Major problem with salinity!

reeferbuddy215

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have a beautiful well established 125 gallon mixed reef with sps, lps, softies fish and a dual 40 gal refugium with skimmer in sump. I came down the other day my father left the RO/DO auto top off on and diluted my salinity way below danger level. I did my best to make a batch but I barely had enough salt mix to get the salinity right my sps corals are fine but my huge Aussie branching hammer and another aqua blue lps branching colony and the 2 corals are slowly dissolving and my one lighting unit went from a bad fan. But I got a temp light fix but my lps colonies look bad I've been doing this for over a decade and they look bad but salinity is right back to what it should be

MSB123

Someone out there put something smart here.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I suspect that the fast drop and then fast rise in salinity caused your corals to go into shock. I have never dealt with this- #reefsquad help

OP
OP
R

reeferbuddy215

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The 2 colonies affected we're about a foot long now they aren't dead completely just most of the branches are showing with minimal skin and the heads are closed

reeferfoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The 2 colonies affected we're about a foot long now they aren't dead completely just most of the branches are showing with minimal skin and the heads are closed
That bites. Might want to frag them back to smaller colonies. Assuming your salinity is back to normal they should recover.

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This may sound out there, but I would also use vitamin C to help with the corals recovery. link it really works wonder with fish and coral health;) and yes it is kind of old school but so am I:eek::D

Diesel

ME=1, CANCER=0.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you measure the drop in salt as you mention
left the RO/DO auto top off on and diluted my salinity way below danger level

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 7 6.9%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 17 16.8%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 68 67.3%
  • Neither.

Votes: 4 4.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 5.0%
Back