Makers LED Heatsink DIY LED For IM Nuvo 16

st1doppelganger

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just thought if start a thread for my current project that will involve a MakersLed Heatsink and my existing LEDs And Drivers from my fluval edge LED set up.

OP
OP
st1doppelganger

st1doppelganger

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is the Makers Led Heatsink I went with the 24 inch version for the reasons of having it go all the way across the top of the tank and also for future tank upgrade options.

agepazes.jpg

y2avy7aq.jpg

y2yzane9.jpg

ysuqyras.jpg

pyzuze8a.jpg

OP
OP
st1doppelganger

st1doppelganger

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The led stars are mounted with hex nuts and washers allowing easy modification and installation of the LEDs there's a thermal compound that you apply to the back of the led to allow better heat dispersion in to the heat sink as well.

OP
OP
st1doppelganger

st1doppelganger

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
eha2ydag.jpg

This is the Makers Led 4 Pot Dimmer box that is a very clean set up as well and is what I will be using for the dimming of my two pre existing inventronics drivers I already have.

OP
OP
st1doppelganger

st1doppelganger

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ebasyjuj.jpg

This Is my pre existing fluval Edge LED set up I made that contains.

A computer heatsink with 4 Cree RB, 6 Cree XML cool whites, 2LuxeonRB, 2 tristars with 2LuxeonRB + 1Luxeon NW and a tristar with 1LuxeonCyan + 1LuxeonBlue + 1LuxeonRed sealed with a glass splash shield and ran by two dimmable inventronics drivers.

I will be removing the LEDs and mounting them on my new heatsink.

MattL22

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have u looked into there lumia 5.1 multi chip ? Was wanting to build one but after looking at cost to dim all 5 channels decided to hold off gonna wait till u can get the parts cheaper

OP
OP
st1doppelganger

st1doppelganger

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have u looked into there lumia 5.1 multi chip ? Was wanting to build one but after looking at cost to dim all 5 channels decided to hold off gonna wait till u can get the parts cheaper

Yes I looked in to those but for the cost of the chip and it having 700ma LEDs that arent Cree or luxeon made me write them off.

I've had a terrible experience with non Cree UV LEDs from a good vendor that made me do a remodel on my edge light since the UVs melted the led lense even when they were ran at around 500ma.

gutude2a.jpg

murybeza.jpg

The red was fine (Center) but the UVs (the outer edges) went out pretty quickly which was very disappointing.

I already have a tristar with a luxeon (Philips) cyan, red, and normal blue mounted on it that I have in the center of pre existing Edge light that will be mounted in the center of the makers led heatsink.

atyjagu8.jpg

jaga2e3a.jpg

Top pic is the luxeon LEDs mounted on tri stars I really recomend the anti disco mounting style because it blends them in nicely when you have three different colored LEDs that you don't want to see spot light affect with.

Bottom pic is when I was mounting the new LEDs on my edge lights heatsink.

OP
OP
st1doppelganger

st1doppelganger

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Take note the uv lenses were originally clear an didn't have the hole melted in the middle of them LOL.

I probably will try the newer UV LEDs from a vendor I found that says they can be ran at a 1000ma with no issues when I get the extra cash to buy extra LEDs and the makers led dimmable driver (two 1000ma dimwell drivers that mounts on top of the heatsink).

The plan would be to have probably have one driver for the pure whites, 1 driver all royal blue, then a supplementary colored led driver and a uv led driver or I might just do the supplemantary colored LEDs and uv together and run the 4th driver as a moon light blue driver. That's in the future though due to build budget issues.

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 24 30.8%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 17 21.8%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 21 26.9%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 16 20.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back