Making a water container with PVC foam sheet

Reezaro

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys,

Tho I have read all related posts in the forum, I could not find my answer yet.
I have a pretty good experience with PVC sheets but this time I am gonna make a water container (L=50 W=35 H=40") with PVC foam sheet with 3/8" thickness as it is my only option here.
I have made a smaller tank as a prototype and tested some methods and got below results:

1- Aquarium silicon glue (silicon 1): the tank leaked after some days.
2- Aquarium silicon glue (silicon 1) + small screw to hold PVC edges together: the tank leaked after some days.
3- Hot air gun plastic welder: It was very difficult to use as the foam PVC tended to melt soon even by adjusting the temp and it did work well at the corners.
4- Regular PVC cement (40): the tank started leaking after some days

I see some guys in other posts suggested to use Weld-On glue or other grades of PVC cement and apparently they succeeded to make tanks for their skimmers without water leakage.
So, please help me with this issue as it is very important for me. Also it is very crucial to make 100% sure that the tank wont leak later.

Appreciate you in advance.

OP
OP
R

Reezaro

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately I could not a supplier in Canada to purchase WeldOn 2007. The US suppliers do not ship to Canada because it is considered hazardous material.
Does anybody happen to know where I can purchase WeldOn 2007 in Canada?

snorklr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i built my hood out of pvc board...used a product called pvc TrimWelder....2 part epoxy made in new hampshire....now i didnt use it underwater...they swear its inert but the msds sheets provided only gave the cautions and hazards of the 2 individual components before they were mixed...which said unsafe for fish...but not for the final cured product so i dont know and didnt bother to inquire since i wasnt using it in direct contact with the water....but i can swear it seals and is strong...so you might want to look into it....if you do use it get a load of extra mixing nozzles as you have to change them after every seam you glue as they instantly harden inside

Elder1945

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pressure vessels made from PVC foam core board are not recommended to be honest.

The glue we use is mixed in-house and we have had luck with it but pressure vessels are not something we would even do.

Why not acrylic? the seams can look like garbage and still hold.

OP
OP
R

Reezaro

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pressure vessels made from PVC foam core board are not recommended to be honest.

The glue we use is mixed in-house and we have had luck with it but pressure vessels are not something we would even do.

What do you mean of pressure vessels? You meant the pressure of the water at the bottom of container?

OP
OP
R

Reezaro

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I am gonna use 3/8 or 1/2" pvc foam sheets to do that.
You think the acrylic sheets are better for pressure vessels? Could you explain more?

Aldo what type of glue did you use?

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 23.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back