Making slow progress

N2950H

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been having some issues with my D800 and Tamron 90mm where I just couldn't get focused in for a crisp image. I'm still having problems with that but I think I'm slowly making progress. I'll keep trying to hone my technique. These were taken with an Avast porthole which obviously is a bit harder to stabilize without the tripod.

DCS_3658-2 by Chris Johnson, on Flickr

DCS_3648-2 by Chris Johnson, on Flickr

DCS_3660-2 by Chris Johnson, on Flickr

DCS_3667-2 by Chris Johnson, on Flickr

DCS_3663-2 by Chris Johnson, on Flickr

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
You may not be quite there, but you are really close and when you get there it is going to be awesome! Keep at it!

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
One additional thought - are you able to expand your depth of field? For example,
on the beautiful bubble tip, the body of the bubble is in focus but the bubble tip is not. A slightly wider depth of field could potential allow the entire bubble tip to be in focus and still leave the background blurred.

OP
OP
N2950H

N2950H

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One additional thought - are you able to expand your depth of field? For example,
on the beautiful bubble tip, the body of the bubble is in focus but the bubble tip is not. A slightly wider depth of field could potential allow the entire bubble tip to be in focus and still leave the background blurred.

Agreed. These were shot at f/11 but I'll try stopping it down even further to increase the depth of field. Thanks guys.

OP
OP
N2950H

N2950H

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was playing with DoF this morning and while more of the image is in focus, it still doesn't seem very sharp. This was f/57, 3 sec exposure, and on a tripod. Even with the pumps off I may need to shorten the exposure time by either bumping up the lights or increasing the ISO. I will have to do some more testing on a more stationary object and see if I can increase the sharpness.

DCS_3773-2~.jpg

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Really, really close. This is fantastic! I can see what you mean but this is great work!

govindvkumar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice Images. Looks like a lens issue. Just calibrate your lens, it would be fixed I guess. Looks like a focus shifting issue

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.5%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 47 54.7%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 26 30.2%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 7 8.1%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.5%
Back