Male oc clown dead

Sandyego reeyfur

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, i have had a mated pair of oc's for a a little less than a year now and my male oc clown after sticking to the sandbed for a few days turned up dead. After a few days of waiting and testing water all the parameters look good and all other livestock in the tank including a six line wrasse and the female clown are healthy. Should i add a new clown and will they become a mated pair? Would the six line or the female clown kill any new additions? Should the clown be on the younger smaller side or the larger side?
Thank you.

Reef AquaCult

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Clownfish can easily live 5-10 years or more, you should try to figure out why yours died. I would observe the other fish for disease for several weeks before any new additions. Have you added anything new recently? Maybe a disease hitch hiked in or maybe you had a dormant disease turn into an outbreak.

OP
OP
S

Sandyego reeyfur

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Clownfish can easily live 5-10 years or more, you should try to figure out why yours died. I would observe the other fish for disease for several weeks before any new additions. Have you added anything new recently? Maybe a disease hitch hiked in or maybe you had a dormant disease turn into an outbreak.
I have not added anything within the last two months or so and all other fish look healthy but i will continue to monitor them. If/when i get a new clownfish will they become a mated pair?

OP
OP
S

Sandyego reeyfur

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have not added anything within the last two months or so and all other fish look healthy but i will continue to monitor them. If/when i get a new clownfish will they become a mated pair?
Also do you have any idea why he may have died. Like i said for a couple days prior to death he wast sticking to the sandbed in one spot only coming to the surface to eat or if i scared him away accidentally. A few minutes after cleaning the glass of the tank one day he turned up dead. It is also important to note that he did not move to eat that day like he normally does. During those few days he looked normal but after death he had clearly lost some color. All the other fish inverts and coral look normal and the most recent addition was a six line wrasse which i added about two months ago.

Gatling

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I find that my fish are only aggressive to the female clown for my mater pair (as she's larger). So I don't think it was bullied. In fact, my female clown protects the male!

When he died, did you see absolutely nothing wrong? Any spots or weird slime? Do you happen to still have the fish to examine further?

OP
OP
S

Sandyego reeyfur

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I find that my fish are only aggressive to the female clown for my mater pair (as she's larger). So I don't think it was bullied. In fact, my female clown protects the male!

When he died, did you see absolutely nothing wrong? Any spots or weird slime? Do you happen to still have the fish to examine further?
There have may have been a white film on him but if there was it got on him after he died as he looked totally normal when he was alive which leads me to believe it was simply his body losing color. But he looked much paler after death... nothing stringy or filmy appeared to be hanging off his body however.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 15 23.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 3.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 8 12.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 35 53.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 7.7%
Back