Malifry's 36 Bowfront Tear Down And Rebuild...

OP
OP
Malifry97

Malifry97

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
WE ARE SALTY AND CYCLING!

13D7958B-A9F4-4AE0-8708-10C9EBA64806.jpeg

count krunk

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently installed my 6 stage ro/di in the garage and i was also very excited to have done that haha.

For first corals go with soft coral and LPS. A ricordia is an easy and IMO pretty coral to start with

count krunk

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not much I don't believe.

I think two of the few ways would be to run two ro membranes in series and have a valve that you can stop the flow of water to the DI for the first few minutes of the unit running. It's called TDS creep.

I have a 6 stage 200gpd aqua fx unit with those incorporated. The DI needs to be changed but those mods will make it last longer.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Malifry97

Malifry97

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not much I don't believe.

I think two of the few ways would be to run two ro membranes in series and have and valve that you can stop the flow of water to the DI for the first few minutes of the unit running. It's called TDS creep.

I have a 6 stage 200gpd aqua fx unit with those incorporated. The DI needs to be changed but those mods will make it last longer.
Ok thanks...is it normal for my di to deplete this quick

count krunk

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what is your source water TDS?

This thread may help you

OP
OP
Malifry97

Malifry97

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what is your source water TDS?

This thread may help you

My source water TDS is around 150.

count krunk

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is your psi? I wouldn't think so. I think preferred psi is around 55-70.

I have no experience with the RO buddy though. Only the standard sized units

Casket_Case

Frags in the Frathouse
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s not live rock, it’s my rock that was dry in my tank but then my tank was infected with velvet so I need to kill anything that’s in my rock would vinegar work?
I had rock out in the yard from a past tank, I dropped and kicked it around to try and scare the bugs out and then I thoroughly washed it off with water from the spiggot. I then put the rock in a bucket and filled it with hot water and let it sit for a few minutes and dumped it out. I then filled it with freezing cold water and let it sit for a few minutes and dumped it our. I repeated the process two or three more times, and I used hot and cold water to shock anything still living in the rock. I then pressure washed it and rinsed it with RODI water then dunked it in saltwater before introducing it to the tank. I wouldn't use vinegar as it can sometimes erode the rock as it's calcium carbonate. I'm excited to see how your project goes!

OP
OP
Malifry97

Malifry97

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had rock out in the yard from a past tank, I dropped and kicked it around to try and scare the bugs out and then I thoroughly washed it off with water from the spiggot. I then put the rock in a bucket and filled it with hot water and let it sit for a few minutes and dumped it out. I then filled it with freezing cold water and let it sit for a few minutes and dumped it our. I repeated the process two or three more times, and I used hot and cold water to shock anything still living in the rock. I then pressure washed it and rinsed it with RODI water then dunked it in saltwater before introducing it to the tank. I wouldn't use vinegar as it can sometimes erode the rock as it's calcium carbonate. I'm excited to see how your project goes!
Thanks! I soaked in hot water then cold. then I dipped in vinegar for 30 minutes. After that I dipped in hydrogen peroxide to whiten and remove any algae that was left!

Casket_Case

Frags in the Frathouse
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! I soaked in hot water then cold. then I dipped in vinegar for 30 minutes. After that I dipped in hydrogen peroxide to whiten and remove any algae that was left!
How much if any of the rock was dissolved? I know it’s an extremely weak acid but I’m curious haha

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 22 31.4%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 56 80.0%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 11 15.7%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 10.0%
  • Other

Votes: 4 5.7%
Back