Managing all sump reactors

Mackerelmore

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Greetings!

I am using filter bags for various filtration in the high flow area of my sump at the moment.

I've installed:
1. Orca's Nitra-Guard and Phospha-Guard (2000ml in total)
2. Activated Carbon (500g)
3. Oyster shells (1kg)
4. Rowaphos (50g)

As my biological demand increases, I need to artificially increase the flow of water through these media.

I'm thinking of using fluidised reactors to house all these filters, so I'm looking at buying and installing 4 of such reactors in my sump.

I have several questions.

1. Can I install the reactors in-line? That will eliminate the need for multiple water pumps.
2. If I install them in-line, in what order should I do so?
3. Nitra-Guard and Phospha-Guard essentially needs an air-line to be injected into its reactor. There is quite a large flow of air involved, and I don't want air tumbling through the other subsequent reactors such as Rowaphos (which would attrition to small particles) or Carbon (which would accumulate air pockets and reduce water/carbon interface. Is this a legitimate concern? Should I then separate the Orca reactor or place it at the end of the in-line reactors?
4. Also, to increase the effectiveness of Nitra-Guard and Phospha-Guard, I also dose vinegar (25ml/day) into the sump directly. The rationale is that the slow-release carbohydrates are being depleted and vinegar will sustain the bacterial population for much much longer. What kind of reactor is suitable, to inject not just air but also a small amount of vinegar via an autodoser?

I'm considering all advices and opinions. They will be much appreciated.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 102 75.6%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 11.1%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 5.9%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back