Managing encrusting montipora growth

Punchanello

Well-Known Member
View Badges
Joined
Oct 3, 2017
Messages
611
Reaction score
671
Location
Australia
What state or country do you live in
Australia
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone,

I purchased a small gold rush monti frag and a large piece of wild sunset monti. I have them in temporary spots and both are already encrusting and colouring up. But I realised I have no idea where to place them permanently so they don't cause too many problems in future or how to manage their growth.

I was hoping for some dos, don'ts, tips and tricks for placing encrusting montis and managing their growth.

I'm most concerned about any issues placing them near acros and other SPS. Thanks
 
It's nearly impossible to control an encrusting monti. I consider them to be like green star polyps where it can just take over.

If you want to prevent that from happening I would isolate them to their own rock or just not add them.
 
Lower in the tank on the rock in a place where it wont get shaded by other corals growing.
 
Following. I have a really nice rainbow monti that is unfortunately about to cover an entire rock and kill 3 acros. I need to find a rainbow monti cap, super easy to control compared to encrusting species lol
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 3 4.8%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 5 8.1%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 14 22.6%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 15 24.2%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 1.6%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 9 14.5%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 2 3.2%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 8 12.9%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 5 8.1%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new