Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 174 45.0%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 131 33.9%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 57 14.7%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 20 5.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 1.3%

• Total voters

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

Palytoxins, fish that sting, electricity and water, and many other dangers lurk in our reef tanks. Sometimes reef keepers pay careful attention to these risks and other times reef keepers hardly seem to take any precautions at all. What about you – do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank? Please tell us about your aquarium risk-based habits and feel free to share any best-practices with the R2R community!

kruley_palyzoa.jpeg

Photo by @kruley

This QOTD is sponsored by: www.deltecdirectusa.com

Deltec_Logo.png

“With dozens of protein skimmers, calcium reactors, media reactors and kalkwasser stirrers in operation, Deltec USA can speak from experience and help you with all your Deltec needs. Live customer support and a large inventory of products rounds out our mission to provide the best possible Deltec experience.”

BiggestE22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Try to be cognizant of the fact that we reallly don’t know 99% of the types or organisms and bacteria that are in most reef tanks. Would never put my hands in a tank with any open scratches or cuts on my hand and arms. Also wire management is extremely important. There are other concerns as well.

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Me and my wife said we will never have pallys due to the toxins they can produce
I think every pally has a different toxin level. For instance the green ones are the ones everybody hates because I think they are very toxic, but the cinnamon brown ones don't have a whole lot. At least that's my theory.

Edit;
In hindsight, I do have a respiratory virus right now. It started a few days after I switched everything over to my new tank. :(

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My precautions are to wash my hands before and after. I pluck palys with my finger nails. Bright green, brown, grandis I pluck them all. I don't eat them and I wash my hands when I'm done being sure not to touch any part of my face. I have never been able work with gloves on so I never wear them. If I was as scared of my tanks as some folks seem to be I just wouldn't have them. That said I have a high tolerance for risk and am not overly cautious when it comes to my own safety. Just the way I've always been. My actions are not a recommendation ;)

EDIT: I do try to use normal precautions around electricity but am not always succesful :face-with-hand-over-mouth:

JustAnotherNanoTank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The electricity part of it cannot be overly stated how careful you should be every time you go to reach into your system. Always do the “touch touch” test. Don’t just go arm length right away!!!

clownaround4giggles

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think every pally has a different toxin level. For instance the green ones are the ones everybody hates because I think they are very toxic, but the cinnamon brown ones don't have a whole lot. At least that's my theory.

Edit;
In hindsight, I do have a respiratory virus right now. It started a few days after I switched everything over to my new tank. :(
Wait so should I be concerned if I have one large neon green paly amongst my zoas?

Dragen Fiend

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm guilty and still guilty that I wear no protection. I also have scratches constantly due to owning a cat lol.

With that being said I've had times where I felt a bit sick for several hours after working on a tank. But this could also be me having some form of reaction to the saltwater itself. I do wear gloves at least now after seeing what paly's can do.

Amber.

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will never own Palys or Zoas. My LFS’s owner has gotten sick multiple times cleaning and servicing his clients tanks. He refuses to work on any more tanks that contain them. He also has ONE section in his store where he sells them but keeps a note on the glass warning of these dangers. (With a face mask and PPE hanging on the side of the sale tank).

For electricity, I hold a longtime standing of if my hands are in the water, nothing is to be plugged in. I do not even trust the KASA smart plugs to turn off my equipment when I’m servicing anymore. (It turned my surge protector back on when my hands were in the tank and I got zapped pretty bad.)

I have all of the equipment for one tank on one surge protector and the lights plugged into a separate protector. I just unplug the equipment surge protector out of the wall when I’m going to be servicing and I know I’ll be O.K.

ReeferZ1227

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I pulled a rock of pallys and a goniastrea out two days ago. I promptly dawned my PPE which was a pair of flip flops, went to the garage, chizzled the goniastrea off and then put the fractured remnants on frag plugs. Im just cautious to not rub my eyes. Minimal risk i suppose.

ylreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, tonight I was helping a club member rescape his 4ft water box, quite a bit of work that went on for hours. We both wore a thick set of rubber gloves and that’s about it. (Sps/Lps) only. I know there will be reefers who are like “Come in”. But trust me, There are a lot of things in our rocks that you do not want in your hands.

Attachments

• IMG_4828.jpeg
    IMG_4828.jpeg
    99.3 KB · Views: 110

HudsonReefer2.0

Algae Happens
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I pulled a rock of pallys and a goniastrea out two days ago. I promptly dawned my PPE which was a pair of flip flops, went to the garage, chizzled the goniastrea off and then put the fractured remnants on frag plugs. Im just cautious to not rub my eyes. Minimal risk i suppose.
As in dish soap, for them PPE ya got there? Think Godfather, Don, just sayin. Atleast u were safe.

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 70 44.3%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 74 46.8%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 14 8.9%
Back