Mandarin and Deep Sand Bed

sprungson

Anemone Lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys,

I have 80lbs of sand in my 20G nano (I like how it looks and I love DSBs for many reasons). I've noticed that my tank is always covered in copepods, even with a Mandarin pecking all day.

Is the large copepods population because I have a deep sand bed? I'm guessing the deep sand bed gives them protection. The tank is only a month old, but the rock is a year old from my other tank.

01xp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
80lbs in a 20g wow! I have a 2in sand bed using 80lbs in a 75g. How deep is the bed?
Most likely the deep bed is the reason for all the pods

burgundy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys,

I have 80lbs of sand in my 20G nano (I like how it looks and I love DSBs for many reasons). I've noticed that my tank is always covered in copepods, even with a Mandarin pecking all day.

Is the large copepods population because I have a deep sand bed? I'm guessing the deep sand bed gives them protection. The tank is only a month old, but the rock is a year old from my other tank.
most likely yeah, the deep sand bed should be used as a home for creatures that clean by eating detritus and such. where people fail is by having 6inches of sand and that's all. the dsb needs to be an ecosystem, look into getting micro brittle stars and find a way to introduce microfauna such as small worms.

then tell me where you found someone selling microfauna because it's hard to find a provider lol

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 25.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 18.2%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 25.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back