Mandarin and Niger Trigger Compatibility

Kris39

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I currently have a 125 Gallon tank, I have an extremely docile Trigger and really want a Mandarin, would this work out?

GrapevineReefs

Chalices & Carnations
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a niger trigger and a mandarin in one of my frAg systems the two fish aren’t really competing for the same food source nor are they mortal enemies so it’s not a compatibility issue the issue with mandarins is feeding them. As most every thread about them says they NEED pods and a healthy mature tank to thrive. I’ve never gotten a green mandarin onto live baby brine shrimp but I do have a spotted psychedelic mandarin that eats live baby brine. It’s hit or miss... it’s just hard having such a gorgeous fish in your tank starve out before your eyes

OP
OP
K

Kris39

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a niger trigger and a mandarin in one of my frAg systems the two fish aren’t really competing for the same food source nor are they mortal enemies so it’s not a compatibility issue the issue with mandarins is feeding them. As most every thread about them says they NEED pods and a healthy mature tank to thrive. I’ve never gotten a green mandarin onto live baby brine shrimp but I do have a spotted psychedelic mandarin that eats live baby brine. It’s hit or miss... it’s just hard having such a gorgeous fish in your tank starve out before your eyes
Do you use Filter socks? Wouldn’t that hinder the Pods numbers? If not socks what do you use?

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Niger shouldn't notice it. I would add the mandarin after lights out.

Wolf89

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you use Filter socks? Wouldn’t that hinder the Pods numbers? If not socks what do you use?
Filter socks do not have a measureable impact on copepod populations.

GrapevineReefs

Chalices & Carnations
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do use filter socks! Always have and don’t plan on stopping anytime soon I keep healthy refigums in all my reef tanks which afford the pods a safe place to repopulate. I’ve never had a problem with the socks diminishing the pod numbers. My mandarins are fat and healthy!

Bpfor3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I cut two 2” slits in my three socks. They still catch crud, but let things flow through. Works well for me.

Webslinger

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Funny mine eats pellets. I have a bout 100lbs of rock to supplement his diet. He's a fatty

Leslie Tabor

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 2 dragonets and have always used socks. Pods don't live in the water column, they crawl around in/on the rocks. The only time the socks cause me issue is when adding new pods, but obviously I am just seeing the large amphipods that the mandarins are really eating anyway.

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would ask the maturity of any niger being kept with one, a niger will grow to it's full size of 12" in captivity. Their demeanor will change at 5-6" and would not think it's a good idea in the long run. A niger really is too much fish for a 125g. Do enough of your own research and find for yourself, that this is not a good idea,
'

Webslinger

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
tang police ? When they get to big sell back to lfs. I hear they are good eating too.:p

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 23 23.7%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 2 2.1%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 69 71.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.1%
Back