Mandarin disappeared...?

Bryan47

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I don't get to go on here as often with work and all so my apologies for posting 10,000 new topics at once. So about 3 days ago I noticed by green mandarin goby who has been healthy and in the tank for 3 months was not in the tank. He usually swims low and in the back so it's not something I noticed the day he was gone. I just realized I hadn't seen him for a few days and when I started looking I couldn't find him anywhere :( he was a good size I would say near full grown or the size of every other adult mandarin I have seen in tanks. There is nothing big enough in the tank or predatory that would have or could have killed him I don't believe. I know starvation can occur but he had been fine for three months and I can still see pods at night. The weirdest thing is if he did die wouldn't I have seen at least some remnants of him? It's the worst just not knowing what happened to him. I would say he was maybe 4 inches long. Any ideas I would really appreciate

OP
OP
Bryan47

Bryan47

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did check both. I don't think a mandarin is fast enough to jump and since I use the hang on the back overflow he would have had to fit through like a 1/8 inch slot. He always stayed near the bottom I assume because that's where he would find the pods. He sort of swam slow and gracefully. I just have no clue. Maybe when I move tanks I'll find some type of remnant. Poor guy :(

OP
OP
Bryan47

Bryan47

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anemone split and now the two are like the size of a quarter so I wouldn't think they wouldn't be sizable enough to eat him, maybe sting him I'm not sure. I will take another look around the tank.

mtc1966

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
enough pods to support him ? could of died and been eaten by cuc

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 41 23.2%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 60 33.9%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 56 31.6%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 16 9.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.3%
Back