Mandarin dragonet in a 17 gallon

1epauletteshark

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now hear me out, I am now culturing copepods and phytoplankton and have a hang on refugium and am getting tigriopus pods soon. I am hoping to get a baby mandarin dragonet that would be around 1.5cm long ≈ 0.5 inch and I will only have my tank for 10 months so I don’t think it will get too big. I have found one that allegedly eats frozen and pellets. Would this be at all possible and if so what would I have to do other than what I am already doing to take care of it. Stocking: 1x small yellow banded possum wrasse, 2x baby clownfish, 2 electric blue hermits, BTA, blue tuxedo urchin, 6x nassarius snails, 5x turbo snails, 1x skunk cleaner shrimp, 5x sexy shrimp and 2x pom pom crabs

OP
OP
1epauletteshark

1epauletteshark

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How do you know your Wrasse has zero interest in pods?
I should probably clarify, my YBPW did not eat any of the pods as I added them and I have not seen it hunting the since however I did not add many as I was buying a liter of pods and got about 50ml worth so I am culturing and hopefully I will be able to have a steady population of pods in my tank and hopefully it will stop swimming in circles all day go and hunt some especially when I add some tigriopus.

Upvote 0

TnFishwater98

Drink more fishwater there! And I still want more!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
C6FC3928-53E5-4E58-9BC1-DE6849ED87A5.jpeg
D707BE6E-3F33-4C08-A356-87BDDBF70D18.jpeg

Upvote 0

Mschmidt

Average Maybe
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
might be ok. keep an eye on it and if it starts to look thin or unhealthy, you'll need to isolate so it can eat better.
You might be pushing the stocking though. short term you might be OK. Long term I wouldn't

Edit: it sounds like you want to do it regardless of what other say and are looking for permission, not advice though.

Upvote 0

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally I think your tank is already fully stocked and think its not a good idea.

But, you don't need anyone's permission, I'm sure you know what the general opinion is. Sounds like you have your mind made up anyway.

Do your research and do your best to prepare the tank accordingly, and good luck.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
1epauletteshark

1epauletteshark

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just a little update, I have decided not to get a mandarin until I am more experienced, have a bigger tank and am back in Australia so I can get captive bred babies so I am instead getting a small yellow clown goby. I was looking at a Waterbox 105.4 which has a 75 gallon display, is this big enough to keep a pair of mandarin dragonets and a pair of red scooter blennies?

Upvote 0

L0L_Z

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just a little update, I have decided not to get a mandarin until I am more experienced, have a bigger tank and am back in Australia so I can get captive bred babies so I am instead getting a small yellow clown goby. I was looking at a Waterbox 105.4 which has a 75 gallon display, is this big enough to keep a pair of mandarin dragonets and a pair of red scooter blennies?
Just one of the dragonet pair should be fine, 2 pairs is pushing it by a BIG margin, especially if its only on pods

Upvote 0

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 13.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 7 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 70 56.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.3%
Back