Mandarin Dragonet or Yellow Coris Wrasse?

Piker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I want a fish to keep bad critters in check. I have always wanted a mandarin but hear stories about how difficult they can be to keep alive.

I know a yellow corris wrasse is probably the safer bet... but if I don't mind feeding pods to my tank as needed, would a goby survive... and would he eat as many pests?

My tank is two months old, has a refugium and display glass that is covered with pods at the moment. Looking for opinions... I recently lost a cbbf that I was throwing every food my lfs had at and am not ready to deal with losing another.

I don't mind putting in extra work for a difficult fish, but having one refuse every effort and die was the worst!

ReefLab

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
well do you have sand? You need sand for both of those animals.
Your tank is too young for a dragonet. It’ll go through pods fast and starve. What size is your tank?

Stuartmercer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you want a mandarin, let me ask you this. How large is your aquarium?
I feel like having a more established aquarium is more important than a large one for a mandarin because I've had one in my aquarium for about 1.5 years in a 29 gallon without supplementing pods. No refugium, no sump, my aquarium has been up for 3 years. So having a new aquarium, I would not recommend a dragonette of any kind. It would be a different story if you have a large aquarium.

Last edited:

Stuartmercer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
well do you have sand? You need sand for both of those animals.
Your tank is too young for a dragonet. It’ll go through pods fast and starve. What size is your tank?
you dont necessarily need sand for both, the wrasse, yes. Pods can do well without sand. Think about the people that culture them in bottles. There is no sand or rocks in the bottles that they breed in. So you can keep a dragonette without sand, but it needs to be mature and have a decent amount of rocks/have a refugium.

OP
OP
Piker

Piker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got sand (80lbs) and its a 75g display with 30g sump. I know its early and many suggest 6 months plus. I'm okay with the wait, but I'm wondering if the wrasse would be a better predator and have a better survival rate.... plus I'd feel comfortable introducing him earlier.

But if they both do similar jobs, and a mandarin isn't like cbbf risk level, I'd do a mandarin and introduce him later.

Stuartmercer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got sand (80lbs) and its a 75g display with 30g sump. I know its early and many suggest 6 months plus. I'm okay with the wait, but I'm wondering if the wrasse would be a better predator and have a better survival rate.... plus I'd feel comfortable introducing him earlier.

But if they both do similar jobs, and a mandarin isn't like cbbf risk level, I'd do a mandarin and introduce him later.
Okay, that is good to know. A 75 is good for both the wrasse and the dragonette, but again it, it is new so I would keep off from the mandarin for a couple months. If you are worried about all the little critters, then go with the wrasse (I believe a sixline is better for critter control though). A dragonette will always beat every other animal in pod control, but for now, a wrasse is a good addition.

OP
OP
Piker

Piker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would prefer a six line, but I've just removed an agressive tomoni and have a peaceful tank and I'd like to keep it peaceful. Some baby fish in there that a 6 line wrasse is more likely to pick on than not.

Stuartmercer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would prefer a six line, but I've just removed an agressive tomoni and have a peaceful tank and I'd like to keep it peaceful. Some baby fish in there that a 6 line wrasse is more likely to pick on than not.
I've heard that sixlines can be aggressive but I have never dealt/seen one be mean. I've only ever seen docile/shy ones. Im assuming the aggression usually happens when people start new tanks and the first batch of fish they put in has a sixline in it. The sixline is then able to establish dominance whereas if you put the sixline in after the rest of the fish get established, it isnt able to climb its way to the top.

OP
OP
Piker

Piker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've heard that sixlines can be aggressive but I have never dealt/seen one be mean. I've only ever seen docile/shy ones. Im assuming the aggression usually happens when people start new tanks and the first batch of fish they put in has a sixline in it. The sixline is then able to establish dominance whereas if you put the sixline in after the rest of the fish get established, it isnt able to climb its way to the top.
I hear you, and this is probably my last fish add... but I know my luck! I had heard tomini were peaceful too... and while the small one I have is, the mid size guy was a grump! (We named him meanie tomini!)

Bleigh

The best bad influence
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My 6 line went in after my clowns. They constantly fight. I actually put the three of them in a tank by themselves cause they were stressing out the other fish with their constant bickering. My 6 line killed a few fish I added after him, so also part of him being exiled.

Stuartmercer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My 6 line went in after my clowns. They constantly fight. I actually put the three of them in a tank by themselves cause they were stressing out the other fish with their constant bickering. My 6 line killed a few fish I added after him, so also part of him being exiled.
well it seems everyone's experience is truly different. I've never had to deal with a fish being aggressive after they met my maroons. Even aggressive fish that I have added seem to be nice under the rule of my tanks monarchy, the queen and her king, my maroon clowns.

OP
OP
Piker

Piker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get a captive bred mandrin that is eating frozen and pellets. Supplement the pods in your tank and enjoy the beautiful addition. Love my (very small) ORA mandrin
You know I think I'm going to do this.

HockeyRooster

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You know I think I'm going to do this.
Awesome. Just be warned your captive bred mandrin will be an inch or so in size. I had to put a mesh cover over my weir because she kept going into the overflow. That said she’s doing great a little over a month in the tank. Fat little stomach and all. Love this fish!! Good luck!

OP
OP
Piker

Piker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome. Just be warned your captive bred mandrin will be an inch or so in size. I had to put a mesh cover over my weir because she kept going into the overflow. That said she’s doing great a little over a month in the tank. Fat little stomach and all. Love this fish!! Good luck!

So I did it, the lfs had some ORA guys for twice the price of their normal mandarin dragonets. Hes 3/4 inches of eating machine.

Before any judgment for putting him in a two month old tank, look at those copepods COVERING the back wall. Considering his size itll be a while before he could eat them all... and there are tens of thousands in the sump.

I've also got TDO pellets of all sizes and blood worms easy masstick and loads of other foods and supplements to try. Started up my nanochloropsis phyto culture again to feed them, and dose the others ill be adding. I think I'm going to culture pods outside the sump as well because I've got the equipment (from breeding orchid dottybacks). Once I see him eating frozen and pellets regularly, ill slowly back off on live foods.

I think I'm prepared for this guy.

Edit: uploaded the wrong video, ill put the correct one on youtube if there is any interest.

Last edited:

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hate to break it to you, but that most likely will be a dead mandarin in a few short months. Your tank is too young to sustain a mandy, even with the amount of pods you see.

Mandys do one thing, and one thing only, eat pods. They will not hunt any pest of any kind, Should have gotten the wrasse of you wanted a pest hunter.

OP
OP
Piker

Piker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hate to break it to you, but that most likely will be a dead mandarin in a few short months. Your tank is too young to sustain a mandy, even with the amount of pods you see.

Mandys do one thing, and one thing only, eat pods. They will not hunt any pest of any kind, Should have gotten the wrasse of you wanted a pest hunter.

I like your optimism, but I'm gonna disagree, you haven't seen how many routifers and copeods I can crank out.

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If your going to culture live pods, and not rely on your tank to populate them, then that is fine and it will probably be fine.

It is still not a pest hunter of any kind. If you were looking for a pest hunter, the wrasse would have been a better addition.

SMSREEF

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like your optimism, but I'm gonna disagree, you haven't seen how many routifers and copeods I can crank out.
Good luck with your little guy! I will be buying a tank raised mandarin in the future too.
It would be great if you start a build thread or keep this thread updated so I can learn some of the tips you use with these little guys.

OP
OP
Piker

Piker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If your going to culture live pods, and not rely on your tank to populate them, then that is fine and it will probably be fine.

It is still not a pest hunter of any kind. If you were looking for a pest hunter, the wrasse would have been a better addition.

I mean I've read they will go for flatworms, but okay.... Either way, I wanted a mandarin, so ill be happy. I'll just have to be extra careful dipping my corals. I do have another wrasse. I'm happy with my choice, but thanks again for the cheerful insight!

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 31 35.2%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 12 13.6%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 28 31.8%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 15 17.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.3%
Back