Lesion on Yellow Coris Wrasse

maiv_2000

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

Need some help with a yellow coris wrasse. i had 2 (one has died) yellow coris that developed the exact same a single whitish lesion towards the tail end. the one that died, likely of this lesion, had a white lesion about 1/4" the night before he died. the one currently with this lesion has a slightly pinkish hue. they were bought from the same LFS a few days apart but i put each in a different tank.

i use caribsea black "sand" and did not realize these guys dig under the sand every night. the black sand is likely crushed lava rock and it may have injured them but i added fine sand to various locations in the tank last week hoping to prevent injury to this wrasse.

also i have a malanurus wrasse in the same tank for 1-2wks longer the coris wrasses and he is doing just fine so i don't know what's going on.

anyone know what this could be?

thanks.

IMG_3458.jpg

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

Need some help with a yellow coris wrasse. i had 2 (one has died) yellow coris that developed the exact same a single whitish lesion towards the tail end. the one that died, likely of this lesion, had a white lesion about 1/4" the night before he died. the one currently with this lesion has a slightly pinkish hue. they were bought from the same LFS a few days apart but i put each in a different tank.

i use caribsea black "sand" and did not realize these guys dig under the sand every night. the black sand is likely crushed lava rock and it may have injured them but i added fine sand to various locations in the tank last week hoping to prevent injury to this wrasse.

also i have a malanurus wrasse in the same tank for 1-2wks longer the coris wrasses and he is doing just fine so i don't know what's going on.

thanks.

IMG_3458.jpg
Biochoeres ‘species’ seem to be much more likely to be damaged by coarse sand. Small patches of fine sand won’t prevent damage, you need to replace most if not all of the sand with fine sand.
You can have 80% fine and around 20% coarse and it will be much more natural to the fish but ideally most of it is meant to be fine sand.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

thanks.

IMG_3458.jpg
The picture is too fuzzy to really tell much. Is the wrasse showing any other symptoms? It could be uronema, but those lesions are usually more vertical and further from the tail.

Here is a link to an article I wrote on this:

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 84 56.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.4%
Back