Mandarin Dragonet Rescue

castellanamattia

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Oct 12, 2024
Messages
161
Reaction score
89
Location
Switzerland
What state or country do you live in
Other International
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi All,

My mandarin dragonet was doing great for the past five months with an active swimming style. However, five days ago, I noticed that he started hiding, which also happened a month ago, but resolved after about three days when I left him alone. Two days ago, I realized he was still inactive, so I moved him from the display tank to the sump. During my closer inspection, I found that some parts of his fins were missing, which led me to conclude that the pair of clowns could be responsible, as they have shown aggression in the past.
Yesterday, I observed that he still wasn't eating, and after four days of not eating, his belly appeared sunken, likely due to stress and inactivity. I placed him in a transparent container to see if he would eat the live copepods I purchased, but he only seemed to suck in a few while breathing, rather than actively picking at them.

Today, he appears very weak and sometimes struggles to stay upright. He still moves some of his fins, and the sump has visible copepods on the glass.

My question is: Should I buy another batch of live copepods and offer them to him? What would you do in this situation? Do you think his time is running out? Thank you for your input.


PS: Values / parameters are the same as reported in my thread (+- 5%). There you can see my entire setup.
 
1000057355.jpg

1000057353.jpg


That is him right now...
 
1000057355.jpg

1000057353.jpg


That is him right now...
Aggression is likely the issue and it is imperative that fish is isolated and well fed for best chance of recovery. The challenge is now providing pod population to new location and getting it to resume feeding.
 
Aggression is likely the issue and it is imperative that fish is isolated and well fed for best chance of recovery. The challenge is now providing pod population to new location and getting it to resume feeding.
Thank you for your answer! Would you add even more copepods today as there are many (roughly 2 to 5 per cmˆ2 of sump glass? I plan to add more tomorrow
 
Thank you for your answer! Would you add even more copepods today as there are many (roughly 2 to 5 per cmˆ2 of sump glass? I plan to add more tomorrow
Yes I would. Getting it to feed and fatten up will be of help
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

HOW DO YOU USUALLY MOVE WATER DURING A WATER CHANGE?

  • Buckets

    Votes: 2 14.3%
  • A siphon or gravel-vac hose

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A pump and hose

    Votes: 2 14.3%
  • A dedicated mixing station

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A plumbed or automated system

    Votes: 3 21.4%
  • A combination of these

    Votes: 7 50.0%
  • Whatever container is clean at the time

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Water changes? We don't need no stinkin' water changes!

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new