Mandarin Dragonet

Husein

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everybody.Wonder how much they are toxic to humans.Hate to read half butt articles online saying only ' be careful''toxic.But for whom or what???Please give some info.Thank you

Mal11224

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not quite sure they are toxic fish. I have two and have never read that about them. They are, however, picky eaters and have a slime coat that makes the resistant to some diseases. They eat copepods and amphipods and may eat frozen treats if you're lucky.

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nope, no toxins in or associated with Mandarin dragonets.

Never heard or read any articles regarding Mandarin's having any warnings about being toxic. I've owned several over the years since 93. Nothing, other than picky eaters.

Quite honest, first time I've ever read anyone questioning toxicity about them.

OP
OP
Husein

Husein

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you ..There are very few out there,i dont know how to attach them.Probably they talking about mucus they coat them self to protect from predators.

OP
OP
Husein

Husein

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
cale-less, smelly and toxic
This petite beauty’s notorious odour is not incidental. Without scales, it lacks the most basic protective measures in the marine world. To make up for it, it produces two types of secretions through its colourful epidermis – a thick mucus to shield it from parasites and the elements, and a smelly, toxic mucus to deter predators.

Beware the tiny spines
This fish is covered in tiny spines that inject toxic mucus into anyone who tries to catch it. The venom isn’t that strong, and feels pretty much like getting poked with a toothpick, leaving a red spot that dissipates after a few minutes.

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you ..There are very few out there,i dont know how to attach them.Probably they talking about mucus they coat them self to protect from predators.

Must be a different fish your thinking of?

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
cale-less, smelly and toxic
This petite beauty’s notorious odour is not incidental. Without scales, it lacks the most basic protective measures in the marine world. To make up for it, it produces two types of secretions through its colourful epidermis – a thick mucus to shield it from parasites and the elements, and a smelly, toxic mucus to deter predators.

Beware the tiny spines
This fish is covered in tiny spines that inject toxic mucus into anyone who tries to catch it. The venom isn’t that strong, and feels pretty much like getting poked with a toothpick, leaving a red spot that dissipates after a few minutes.

Sounds like a scorpion fish.

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 16 8.0%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 35 17.6%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 132 66.3%
  • Neither.

Votes: 10 5.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.0%
Back