Mandarin dragonets should i give up

Reefer302

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi I'm contemplating whether I should try again with mandarins the first one died and I don't want to getting any more if thats their fate. I have a 30g currently no fish but has a lot of corals and a cleaner shrimp when I first got one it died within a week it was doing great and one morning I found it dead so I'm assuming it didn't starve because it was to short of a time frame. I have pods and a refugium, and i setup pod cultures and I am going to be supplementing with baby brine. What do you guys think quit or give it another go.

NowGlazeIT

Happy to help, Ask away.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love mandarin, but they are a lot of work without a big refugium full of multiplying pods. I had mine for 3 years and then I lost them during a tank upgrade. I decided not to get them again. Tho I miss them and how they look and swim, I don’t miss the special little feedings and how frequently/long. I would shut off pumps so they would have time to eat.

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi I'm contemplating whether I should try again with mandarins the first one died and I don't want to getting any more if thats their fate. I have a 30g currently no fish but has a lot of corals and a cleaner shrimp when I first got one it died within a week it was doing great and one morning I found it dead so I'm assuming it didn't starve because it was to short of a time frame. I have pods and a refugium, and i setup pod cultures and I am going to be supplementing with baby brine. What do you guys think quit or give it another go.

it could have not been eating in the LFS, then moving it would have unlikely started eating, so it could have been lack of food.

Unless you can supply a few thousand pods every day then I wouldn’t try another, with a big tank the fish has a chance to find food if you don’t feed it very regularly or between feedings, with a small tank it will 100% be down to you to provide food.

OP
OP
Reefer302

Reefer302

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
it could have not been eating in the LFS, then moving it would have unlikely started eating, so it could have been lack of food.

Unless you can supply a few thousand pods every day then I wouldn’t try another, with a big tank the fish has a chance to find food if you don’t feed it very regularly or between feedings, with a small tank it will 100% be down to you to provide food.
So captive bred is the way to go

OP
OP
Reefer302

Reefer302

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes but that is no guarantee either, they still have the same digestive track as wild caught, so feeding will still be a challenge and needs to be very regular.
Yeah I still have a sizeable pod population with a refugium to reproduce in plus pod cultures so I can add more , so they could still hunt and not completely decimate my pods like a wild caught one, but I'd have to feed often.

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I still have a sizeable pod population with a refugium to reproduce in plus pod cultures so I can add more , so they could still hunt and not completely decimate my pods like a wild caught one, but I'd have to feed often.

it’s just if you get one that wants pods you will be up against it, they can eat 5000+ a day! That’s hard to keep up with, so just be prepared to feed as often as you can.

OP
OP
Reefer302

Reefer302

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
it’s just if you get one that wants pods you will be up against it, they can eat 5000+ a day! That’s hard to keep up with, so just be prepared to feed as often as you can.
I have heard they eat alot but I haven't heard 5000 a day I've heard 100+ a day at the most

cubereefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i have tried both captive and wild caught. to each their own with this. i have 2 wild caught mandarins and have had them for 4 years got them small. i feed pods and phyto 2 times a week for the first few months. turn off flow and skimmer and let the pods sink into the tank. now i feed normal frozen foods and dump pods and phyto once a week or so. super happy healthly and fattttt. my captive i have had for 1 year i had bought a pair and lost 1 and have the other still eating frozen and pods. i culture my own pods and brine to keep up with feeding. honestly i would buy another wild caught .

OP
OP
Reefer302

Reefer302

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i have tried both captive and wild caught. to each their own with this. i have 2 wild caught mandarins and have had them for 4 years got them small. i feed pods and phyto 2 times a week for the first few months. turn off flow and skimmer and let the pods sink into the tank. now i feed normal frozen foods and dump pods and phyto once a week or so. super happy healthly and fattttt. my captive i have had for 1 year i had bought a pair and lost 1 and have the other still eating frozen and pods. i culture my own pods and brine to keep up with feeding. honestly i would buy another wild caught .
What tank size do you have

TangGang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Give it another shot if only 1 died that’s not a large sample size there could have been an external factor involved. I’ve owned 2 mandarins, both wild caught, one for 6 years and then disappeared and the other for about 2 years now and he’s quite fat. Mandarins are one of the hardiest fish I’ve ever owned. They pick at things about every 3 seconds, seriously they do, and so you need a lot of pods. I’m not sure how long you had it because it very well could have starved. Many seem to be doing good for months and then at mysteriously die, and the root causes were lack of pods. If you got one that was captive bred that might help a lot because many companies like biota claim they can be trained onto pellets. That would help a lot, so I would try that.

Perthegallon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
So I have a good suggestion you can try that I do for my wild caught in my 65 gallon tank I bought the sponges people use for cleaning dishes I’m forgetting there name I put them in my fuge and I squeeze one out a day and it’s filled with pods it’s like the pod hotel but cheaper

92Miata

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Give it another shot if only 1 died that’s not a large sample size there could have been an external factor involved. I’ve owned 2 mandarins, both wild caught, one for 6 years and then disappeared and the other for about 2 years now and he’s quite fat. Mandarins are one of the hardiest fish I’ve ever owned. They pick at things about every 3 seconds, seriously they do, and so you need a lot of pods. I’m not sure how long you had it because it very well could have starved. Many seem to be doing good for months and then at mysteriously die, and the root causes were lack of pods. If you got one that was captive bred that might help a lot because many companies like biota claim they can be trained onto pellets. That would help a lot, so I would try that.
Biota's mandarins come eating frozen foods and pellets from day 1. They're raised on them.

Pods are a complete non-issue for them.

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wild caught Mandarin easiest fish I have ever kept.
I have not fed him for over three years now.
Mandys are hunters, mine just watches everything else float by, he wants to hunt live food.
Any tank, with lots of live rock, mature 1 year, and no other exclusive pod eaters. I have been keep mandys for 30 years.
I have never added a pod from day one.

1BE57F4D-466D-4051-AE48-801CD0745996.jpeg

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let's just settle on a lot

If you have a great pod population and large fuge, it should be good for a captive bred mandarin

if he had a “great pod population” the first one probably wouldn’t have died.
Wild caught Mandarin easiest fish I have ever kept.
I have not fed him for over three years now.
Mandys are hunters, mine just watches everything else float by, he wants to hunt live food.
Any tank, with lots of live rock, mature 1 year, and no other exclusive pod eaters. I have been keep mandys for 30 years.
I have never added a pod from day one.

1BE57F4D-466D-4051-AE48-801CD0745996.jpeg

The OP’s tank is 30g what size is yours?

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 59 74.7%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 9 11.4%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 9 11.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.5%
Back