Mandarin Dragonets

britnicole1724

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all, going to start by saying I culture my own pods/phyto and seeded my tank when we first got it up.

I currently have a green female mandarin dragonet. When got her and she was extremely skinny, she was at an LFS and not doing good so I decided to bring her home fairly early on into having my tank. We got her back in March and she was a trooper and we got her weaned onto frozen mysis extremely easy. Just fed live pods mixed with can o clops and then can o clips mixed with frozen mysis and she just willingly eats whatever falls in front of her now.

I really want to add a male but I’m not quite sure if I should. Tank is 180 total gallons (140 display 40 g sump) Not sure if she’d show aggression or not being she’s been alone for several months.
Other tank mates are clowns, foxface, regal blue, Achilles, firefish, lawnmower blenny, tailspot blenny, royal gramma, cardinal fish. Misc hermits, sally lightfoot, urchins, snails. Tank is a year old. Again I have 3 cultures of copepods going as well as 2 cultures of phyto that I dose daily.
Picture of my female chonker.
98F20EC9-7966-4975-A568-CCF32B37DF8E.jpeg

Blue Cheese

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all, going to start by saying I culture my own pods/phyto and seeded my tank when we first got it up.

I currently have a green female mandarin dragonet. When got her and she was extremely skinny, she was at an LFS and not doing good so I decided to bring her home fairly early on into having my tank. We got her back in March and she was a trooper and we got her weaned onto frozen mysis extremely easy. Just fed live pods mixed with can o clops and then can o clips mixed with frozen mysis and she just willingly eats whatever falls in front of her now.

I really want to add a male but I’m not quite sure if I should. Tank is 180 total gallons (140 display 40 g sump) Not sure if she’d show aggression or not being she’s been alone for several months.
Other tank mates are clowns, foxface, regal blue, Achilles, firefish, lawnmower blenny, tailspot blenny, royal gramma, cardinal fish. Misc hermits, sally lightfoot, urchins, snails. Tank is a year old. Again I have 3 cultures of copepods going as well as 2 cultures of phyto that I dose daily.
Picture of my female chonker.
98F20EC9-7966-4975-A568-CCF32B37DF8E.jpeg
My male floats around on the top at dusk,I don’t have a female,I read this behavior is in search of a mate on the reef,if yours shows that behavior then there’s probably no risk in adding another at dusk

OP
OP
britnicole1724

britnicole1724

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My male floats around on the top at dusk,I don’t have a female,I read this behavior is in search of a mate on the reef,if yours shows that behavior then there’s probably no risk in adding another at dusk
I haven’t really noticed. She does go up towards the top but she usually is pecking at the wall eating lol I’ll have to keep an eye out for her hovering around the top.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 19 14.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 21 15.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 75 56.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.7%
Back