Mandarin goby attacking clownfish

MikeRowe2024

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My mandarin goby has been attacking my clownfish, has anyone else experienced this?
He’ll swim all the way across the tank, seemingly out of no where, and just go at the clown.
I was more worried about the clown attacking the mandarin, but I’m 100% certain the mandarin is instigating.
is this normal?

I’ll try to get a video next time I see it

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Highly unusual but not totally abnormal. Your Mandarin is obviously mistaking the Clownfish for a huge pod. The orange coloration is similar to many of the exoskeleton coloration found in pods. Just like waving a red cape in front of a bull the orange flash of the Cllownfish swimming signals "food" to the Mandarin who is charging across the tank to eat a huge Thanksgiving feast. The Mandarin seems to have a healthy appetite and probably needs either contacts or glasses to correct its visual issues.

I Might get rid of the Clownfish before the Mandarin finishes it off?
(Can't wait to see the videos to confirm my theory.) :cool:

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At work most of the day today, but when I’m off I’ll be watching with a camera lol
Some people suggest setting the camera on video mode and walking away to capture fish behavior and aggression in a fish tank. Our fishes often change their behavior when we are watching.

I do hope the Mandarin will attack the Clownfish on camera, these unusual cases make for the best reminders that we don't know how a fish will perform until we drop it in the tank. Its also a bonus for those of us who have had Clownfish attack us when we put our hands in their tanks. Emotional payback of huge debts perhaps? ;)

OP
OP
MikeRowe2024

MikeRowe2024

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some people suggest setting the camera on video mode and walking away to capture fish behavior and aggression in a fish tank. Our fishes often change their behavior when we are watching.

I do hope the Mandarin will attack the Clownfish on camera, these unusual cases make for the best reminders that we don't know how a fish will perform until we drop it in the tank. Its also a bonus for those of us who have had Clownfish attack us when we put our hands in their tanks. Emotional payback of huge debts perhaps? ;)
lol yeah the mandarins got my back fs

OP
OP
MikeRowe2024

MikeRowe2024

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my roommate just fed the tank and I asked if he could watch for a little. This is what he sent me. I don’t know why he’s watching a week 14 PMT lol (Plz ignore dirty glass missed a maintenance week bc finals)

Attachments

• IMG_2037.mov
    22.5 MB
OP
OP
MikeRowe2024

MikeRowe2024

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my roommate just fed the tank and I asked if he could watch for a little. This is what he sent me. I don’t know why he’s watching a week 14 PMT lol (Plz ignore dirty glass missed a maintenance week bc finals)
gonna try for better video when im off still

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 35 16.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 6.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 28 13.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 122 57.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 14 6.6%
Back