Mandarin in fluval evo?

Cwoyssant

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone, I have a fluval evo 13.5 and I wanted a mandarin dragonet. I have a clownfish and a striped goby, and plan to add another clown in the future. I have a Refugium in chamber 2 with lots of pods and chaeto. Do you think these four fish are overkill or do I need to choose between the mandarin and another clown?

OP
OP
Cwoyssant

Cwoyssant

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was going to buy a biota captive bred one. I also already have can o cyclops I feed to my clowns, so he can also eat those. I replenish with pods once a month and give Phyto every day.

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was going to buy a biota captive bred one. I also already have can o cyclops I feed to my clowns, so he can also eat those. I replenish with pods once a month and give Phyto every day.
That could work, they are so, so tiny and grow, slow, slow.
As long as he eats frozen, I don’t see the problem.
Good tank mate, doesn’t care much about anyone else.
Will jump.
Pods are really expensive.

mtraylor

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just got my first biota pair of mandarins. They are tinyyyyyyyyyy. Smaller than 1/4"

They are too small to put in my display so put them in 10 gallon nano. So far the ate trigger pods. Expensive meal. Going to try baby brine next. If they are biota they should eat multiple foods so you should be good in that tank as they are small.

davidcalgary29

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Be warned, though, that not every captive-bred goby will eat frozen foods or pellets. I spoke with one importer who stopped selling them because the long-term success rate was so poor.

My mandarin ate frozen food, and I did keep it in an Evo, but this is a very hit-or-miss thing.

DaJMasta

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As said, to keep them in a small tank it is absolutely critical to get them onto prepared foods. Be prepared to have several things on hand and be able to feed heavily until you can verify they are eating as even a small one will clean out a tank that size of copepods in a matter of a couple days.

Small frozen bloodworms seem to be pretty quickly accepted by the dragonets I've trained onto frozen, calanus or cyclops frozen pods will likely work with smaller ones especially, and smaller mysis should be accepted if they are large enough (but they can eat something bigger than you expect from their size).

Ly78

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Managed to get mine to eat pellets, tdo small. Only thing is I have to ensure enought pellets make it onto the sandbed for the mandarin to slowly pass by and pick those up.

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Idk I feel my biota mandarin has doubled in size in a matter of a couple months. He's prolly gone from 1/4 in to 1/2 inch..

Imo you will want to start your own pod cultures. I started 2 five gallon tanks with pods and I'm able to add pods to dt about 1-2 times a week, and I'm talking about 64oz of culture water with thousands of pods each time. You can just do a couple half gallon jars tho doesn't have to be multiple gallons. I also have my own phyto cultures but they recently crashed.. here's my cultures

Attachments

• 20221111_215741.jpg
    20221111_215741.jpg
    107.9 KB · Views: 40
  • 20221111_215733.jpg
    20221111_215733.jpg
    120.5 KB · Views: 36

Mortgaged Reefs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I kept one for over a year in an Evo13.5 until he jumped. I seeded it with pods and phyto. I did stress about him a lot so I wouldn’t recommend it again but they are beautiful. It is doable if you commit to seeding it with pods and phyto daily until you can get them to eat frozen. I have had several dragonettes over the years and I’ve always been able to get them on frozen brine eventually.

OP
OP
Cwoyssant

Cwoyssant

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are they likely to jump? I have no lid, I don’t want to spend another 80 bucks for some mesh.

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've seen mine after lights out shooting straight up quickly then floating back down and repeating this. My assumption was he was grabbing pods from the water column but I could see him jumping without a lid if another fish scared him idk tho

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any update?
I think your tank is way too small for Mandarin, unless you are very dedicate and plan to feed them at least daily.

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Be warned, though, that not every captive-bred goby will eat frozen foods or pellets. I spoke with one importer who stopped selling them because the long-term success rate was so poor.

My mandarin ate frozen food, and I did keep it in an Evo, but this is a very hit-or-miss thing.
^ This. All of this.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 54 40.0%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 20.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 35.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.7%
Back