Mandarin pair fighting.

Tchung23

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Question of all you owners. I have a pair of captive bred male and female for about 1.5 months. Until lately they have been inseparable. Always swimming together. But lately the male has been chasing the female to the point where the females tail fin is starting to get damaged. Should I be worried or is this a normal process of pairing up??

Wannabereefvet

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Question of all you owners. I have a pair of captive bred male and female for about 1.5 months. Until lately they have been inseparable. Always swimming together. But lately the male has been chasing the female to the point where the females tail fin is starting to get damaged. Should I be worried or is this a normal process of pairing up??
Just watch it closely. I had a female almost kill my male after they started off great for about two weeks.

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mandarin ignored each other until mating time. Also two males will fight and larger females will chase and beat up smaller males.
Can you post pictures? I think you have error in your sexing your Mandarin.

NeonRabbit221B

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For mandarin's feeding comes first so I would look at your feeding habits and pod population. Photos for confirmation of male and female and size as those come into play.

OP
OP
T

Tchung23

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For mandarin's feeding comes first so I would look at your feeding habits and pod population. Photos for confirmation of male and female and size as those come into play.
Here’s a the best pick I could get with both. I will try to get another with female tonight.

Attachments

• 1D080BDD-166C-4B03-9845-79DB8642D85F.jpeg
    1D080BDD-166C-4B03-9845-79DB8642D85F.jpeg
    185.6 KB · Views: 179
OP
OP
T

Tchung23

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Mandarins are eating pellets now. Maybe I need to feed more often. I've =dosed with 6 bottles of pods when i got them like 1.5 months ago.

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mandarin re relentless when fighting. I don't think your Mandarin are fighting. In your picture, the smaller one on top is female and the larger one on the bottom seem to be a male, but the picture is not clear enough for me to ID the male for certain.
Good luck

OP
OP
T

Tchung23

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mandarin re relentless when fighting. I don't think your Mandarin are fighting. In your picture, the smaller one on top is female and the larger one on the bottom seem to be a male, but the picture is not clear enough for me to ID the male for certain.
Good luck
I've seen vids of two males fighting. It's pretty vicious!! My male only chases a the smaller one away sometimes nipping its fin. I'm thinking a food issue. maybe I'll dose with more pods and and add more to my fuge

OP
OP
T

Tchung23

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The male is for sure a male. Here’s a pic.

Attachments

• 5C5B11F7-276C-4618-9F5C-3D0D508C0F5C.jpeg
    5C5B11F7-276C-4618-9F5C-3D0D508C0F5C.jpeg
    125.1 KB · Views: 190

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In the wild... large males mate with small females and size difference is fairly dramatic.

It is possible for males or females to reject the other as not a suitable mate.

They will also fight if they feel there isn’t enough food.

It actually seems fairly common as I have seen many try and pair their mandarin without success in their journals.

OP
OP
T

Tchung23

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In the wild... large males mate with small females and size difference is fairly dramatic.

It is possible for males or females to reject the other as not a suitable mate.

They will also fight if they feel there isn’t enough food.

It actually seems fairly common as I have seen many try and pair their mandarin without success in their journals.
God to know. If this persist I may have to return the female back to LFS as I would hate for her to die for no reason other than being picked on

OP
OP
T

Tchung23

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So how are the two Dragons? Settle down and make baby dragons yet?
They seemed to have settled down and are growing so quickly. They are eating TDO pellets twice a day and seem pretty happy. The females fin has healed to I’m expecting babies soon

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mandarins are eating pellets now. Maybe I need to feed more often. I've =dosed with 6 bottles of pods when i got them like 1.5 months ago.
That fighting is normal. The Male wants to breed but the female isn't ready. Pellets are not a proper food for any fish, especially mandarins and she is having trouble developing eggs.

Your tank may not be seasoned enough to provide food. There is no need to feed mandarins in an aged tank as they find enough on their own.
If not, build a feeder.

Almost everything in this video is spawning. You fill it with new born brine shrimp daily. Mandarins spawn constantly.

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 32 17.4%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 32 17.4%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 33 17.9%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 79 42.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.3%
Back