mandarin vs. scooter dragonet. Which one would be better?

whats better as a first dragonet?

• Total voters

xxkenny90xx

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are both pretty hardy if you have a ton of pods so this will come down to personal preference. Fwiw I like the mandarin

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mandarin Dragonet, Synchiropus splendidus, wins hands down. Bring on the best picture of a Scooter Dragonet, Synchiropus stellatus, you can find. There is no way it can compare to the beauty of a Mandarin.

Maybe a Synchiropus sycorax, the Ruby Red Dragonet but but not the Scooter Dragonet
Mandarin2019010903.jpg
Mandarin2019101401.jpg
Mandarin2020030902.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Neros503

Neros503

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are both pretty hardy if you have a ton of pods so this will come down to personal preference. Fwiw I like the mandarin
So scooters aren't easier to acclimate to aquarium foods like frozen? Also, I'm definitely leaning towards mandarin. Just thought that if scooters were easier to feed, and are cheaper than it would make more sense to get one.

OP
OP
Neros503

Neros503

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mandarin Dragonet, Synchiropus splendidus, wins hands down. Bring on the best picture of a Scooter Dragonet, Synchiropus stellatus, you can find. There is no way it can compare to the beauty of a Mandarin.

Maybe a Synchiropus sycorax, the Ruby Red Dragonet but but not the Scooter Dragonet
Mandarin2019010903.jpg
Mandarin2019101401.jpg
Mandarin2020030902.jpg
I 100% agree that mandarins (especially the blue and green ones) look a lot more beautiful, but as I already stated, I thought the scooters were easier to care for.

xxkenny90xx

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So scooters aren't easier to acclimate to aquarium foods like frozen? Also, I'm definitely leaning towards mandarin. Just thought that if scooters were easier to feed, and are cheaper than it would make more sense to get one.
I have heard that but I wouldn't let that be a deciding factor. Scooters and mandarins eat copapods. That is their diet. If yours will eat frozen foods then that is great but it will only be a small part of it's diet

OP
OP
Neros503

Neros503

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you all for the advice. I think it's pretty obvious which one I'm going to get. I've been contacting my lfs if they can get captive bred fish for me, but they haven't said if they can for sure yet, so if I can't get it at the lfs, whats the best place to get it from? and should I get it from ORA or Biota?

Rubymoon286

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a pair of each, and love them, though, a complete antecedent for you, I feel as though I see fewer pods in the tank with the mandarins than with my scooters, and they seem to be hardier.

That said, if you're willing to keep up on adding pods and be super vigilant on water quality, go with mandarins if that's what you prefer the look of :)

xxkenny90xx

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you all for the advice. I think it's pretty obvious which one I'm going to get. I've been contacting my lfs if they can get captive bred fish for me, but they haven't said if they can for sure yet, so if I can't get it at the lfs, whats the best place to get it from? and should I get it from ORA or Biota?
I believe algae barn has them in stock. And algae barn is a great company to order from. Hey have you looked into breeding baby brine shrimp and making a diy Paul b mandarin feeder?

OP
OP
Neros503

Neros503

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe algae barn has them in stock. And algae barn is a great company to order from. Hey have you looked into breeding baby brine shrimp and making a diy Paul b mandarin feeder?
That's where I was going to order but I'm still waiting for now for my pod population to increase more. I am familiar with the Paul b feeder, but I have know idea how he made it. Does he show how anywhere? I don't currently have a brine shrimp hatchery, but I plan to make one in the near future.

OP
OP
Neros503

Neros503

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a pair of each, and love them, though, a complete antecedent for you, I feel as though I see fewer pods in the tank with the mandarins than with my scooters, and they seem to be hardier.

That said, if you're willing to keep up on adding pods and be super vigilant on water quality, go with mandarins if that's what you prefer the look of :)
I don't have much money to spend on buying too many copepods and the scooter dragonets are cheaper so I think maybe I'll just think about it for awhile.

xxkenny90xx

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's where I was going to order but I'm still waiting for now for my pod population to increase more. I am familiar with the Paul b feeder, but I have know idea how he made it. Does he show how anywhere? I don't currently have a brine shrimp hatchery, but I plan to make one in the near future.
@Paul B talks about it a bit if you scroll down on this page. https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/thanks-paulb-mandarin-feeder.263752/
I always have trouble finding the actual instruction page.

And if you scroll down on this page I talk about my diy hatchery https://www.pnwmas.org/forums/topic/48789-brine-shrimp-hatchery/?tab=comments#comment-473586

OP
OP
Neros503

Neros503

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 64 36.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.9%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.4%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back