mandarin vs. scooter dragonet. Which one would be better?

whats better as a first dragonet?

• Total voters

kels64

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been keeping fish for a bit now and am looking to get my first dragonet after lots of research. I know I want to get a captive bred, but I'm not sure which is the best to start with. What would you recommend?
-> link to Biota mandarin
-> link to ORA scooter dragonet
I think for a mature tank that has plentiful pods, there is no more beautiful fish than a male mandarin goby. Just my opinion. Beautiful and lots of personality. ❤️❤️❤️

Thor T.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So scooters aren't easier to acclimate to aquarium foods like frozen? Also, I'm definitely leaning towards mandarin. Just thought that if scooters were easier to feed, and are cheaper than it would make more sense to get one.
My scooter dragonet starting eating hikari s pellets after 3 weeks.

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Of the scooters and mandarins I've had, the scooters were out in the open more and had lots of personality. My mandarins have mostly been pretty shy. Love them both though :)
Some places sell captive bred that are more expensive but already trained to eat prepared foods. In the long run, these will cost less since you won't have to always be adding live pods...

OP
OP
Neros503

Neros503

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good news: overnight the tank exploded with pods and now their all over everything. We're hoping to be able to get a captive bred green mandarin for my birthday in may!

Iverson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
PLEASE Note: I love Algae Barn, so I ordered my last two dragonette's from the exact add that your link goes to. The fish in the photograph is NOT the fish they are selling. The photo shows a blue dragonette. My favorite. The text says that they are selling green dragonettes. I find the green ones very drab in comparison. In addition, the green dragonettes they sent were very nearly the same size as the pods they are supposed to feed on. I bought two and neither were bigger than 1/2 inch long, tiny mouth clear to the end of their tail. They lasted almost 3 days.

Bridgerdean

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love my guy.

Attachments

• 423A92D8-FD83-47F8-975E-71A5CD749684.jpeg
    423A92D8-FD83-47F8-975E-71A5CD749684.jpeg
    178.3 KB · Views: 37

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
PLEASE Note: I love Algae Barn, so I ordered my last two dragonette's from the exact add that your link goes to. The fish in the photograph is NOT the fish they are selling. The photo shows a blue dragonette. My favorite. The text says that they are selling green dragonettes. I find the green ones very drab in comparison. In addition, the green dragonettes they sent were very nearly the same size as the pods they are supposed to feed on. I bought two and neither were bigger than 1/2 inch long, tiny mouth clear to the end of their tail. They lasted almost 3 days.
The "blue" and "green" are color variations in the same species. Even the "red" mandarins can end up looking more blue/green as they develop. Unless you are ordering a WYSIWYG specimen, you won't necessarily get the color you hope to. The tiny size would definitely be a drawback though.

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! is there a difference between buying directly from biota instead of algaebarn?
Technically, no. But since Algaebarn likely just forwards the orders to Biota, if you have any special requests or want to make sure the fish are not microscopic like @Iverson 's were, I expect you'd have more luck ordering straight from biota. But you can always contact Algaebarn too.

jazzfisher

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a female ManDarin that eats whatever I feed the other fish, she’s right out there grabbing food I got lucky with her- I also have pods in the tank.
I wanted to get a male as well, but wanted to get a captive bred so I ordered directly from Biota. They have great customer service and you can specify which sex you want. Yes they are tiny babies but have been raised on pellets and other food (if you look at the Biota sponsor thread Jake tells what they feed them). I feed the same, right now the male is in a separate tank until he is large enough to meet the female.. he is growing quickl.y. I would suggest going Biota.

OP
OP
Neros503

Neros503

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a female ManDarin that eats whatever I feed the other fish, she’s right out there grabbing food I got lucky with her- I also have pods in the tank.
I wanted to get a male as well, but wanted to get a captive bred so I ordered directly from Biota. They have great customer service and you can specify which sex you want. Yes they are tiny babies but have been raised on pellets and other food (if you look at the Biota sponsor thread Jake tells what they feed them). I feed the same, right now the male is in a separate tank until he is large enough to meet the female.. he is growing quickl.y. I would suggest going Biota.
What do you feed them?

Thrashed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got a scooter and never had any problems with him eating. He has swam around my tank eating off the sandbed and rocks. He is more a scavenger and eats what falls and some algae that builds up. Him and my lawnmower blenny are best friends

OP
OP
Neros503

Neros503

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got a scooter and never had any problems with him eating. He has swam around my tank eating off the sandbed and rocks. He is more a scavenger and eats what falls and some algae that builds up. Him and my lawnmower blenny are best friends
What size tank is he in?

jazzfisher

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What do you feed them?
I feed a variety of frozen foods to my bigger tank. Which I also feed to the tank with the baby mandarin As it is in with some other small fish. But I also feed the TDO pellets that Biota feeds plus I also feed the baby tank frozen baby brine shrimp, frozen copepods, frozen roifers, and frozen mini mysis. Like I said a variety so every feeding is different. I also add an extra feeding of the pellets as the baby really likes them, and Jake said the more you feed them the faster they grow. Do not take that to mean overfeeding.

drblakjak55

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had a pair of scooters that would dance together as the lights dimmed. Quite amazing. Got a lot of pods in the chaeto fuge and my current blue mandarin is a couple years old and out after dinner. Picking at the rocks.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 31 16.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 13.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 113 58.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.2%
Back