Mandorian fluke??? Cant tell

BuddyBonButt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
She's not eating, white spots, super thin, I caught it by hand.. and by that I mean I just reached in. She didn't run. Looks too irregular to be ick and she has been like this for about 2 weeks. So it can't be velvet or she'd be dead already

Unfortunately tank is currently overrun by dinos. I culture copepods of each species. I have plenty of food for her but she won't eat

20230109_181701.jpg 20230109_181657.jpg 20230109_181622.jpg 20230109_181619.jpg 20230109_183230.jpg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
She's not eating, white spots, super thin, I caught it by hand.. and by that I mean I just reached in. She didn't run. Looks too irregular to be ick and she has been like this for about 2 weeks. So it can't be velvet or she'd be dead already

Unfortunately tank is currently overrun by dinos. I culture copepods of each species. I have plenty of food for her but she won't eat

20230109_181701.jpg 20230109_181657.jpg 20230109_181622.jpg 20230109_181619.jpg
My hunch is a grain of sand being a bottom dweller. See if that spot is still there in the morning . Typically flukes are not visible to the naked eye

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Then what explains her not eating?
They are sensitive to changes in water quality. I would look at your nitrate and ammonia levels firsthand. Also fish may be weakened as it is very thin and mandarins are eating machines and should be showing a golf ball shaped belly. It appears lethargic but impossible to say without a video.
If flukes, mandarin would be showing head twitching and yawning.
Is it breathing normal or rapid ?

OP
OP
B

BuddyBonButt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are sensitive to changes in water quality. I would look at your nitrate and ammonia levels firsthand. Also fish may be weakened as it is very thin and mandarins are eating machines and should be showing a golf ball shaped belly. It appears lethargic but impossible to say without a video.
If flukes, mandarin would be showing head twitching and yawning.
Is it breathing normal or rapid ?
Normal breathing? Should I go get prazi? Here's a video. https://youtube.com/shorts/_cyOrvmMEwg?feature=share

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
OP
OP
B

BuddyBonButt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for video which makes things clearer. I see dots that looks like ich But may again be sand. If ich, again see how it looks in the morning but according to video, this fish does appear thin and weak and moribund.
Has it moved the last couple of hours ?
No she isnt moving. But is alive. You don't think flukes? Should I use prazi?

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
No she isnt moving. But is alive. You don't think flukes? Should I use prazi?
You can have it on hand but there are no visible sign as it is lethargic at this time.
Some signs of flukes are:
red or swollen gills with rapid breathing, fish acting lethargic or swimming near the water surface, hiding in the corner of tank or behind rocks, loss of appetite, shaking its head, flashing/darting, develop clamped fins, , or scratching against objects. They may also exhibit what looks like yawning from gill irritation develop, cloudy eyes and loss of color .

OP
OP
B

BuddyBonButt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can have it on hand but there are no visible sign as it is lethargic at this time.
red or swollen gills with rapid breathing, fish acting lethargic or swimming near the water surface, hiding in the corner of tank or behind rocks, loss of appetite, shaking its head, flashing/darting, develop clamped fins, , or scratching against objects. They may also exhibit what looks like yawning from gill irritation develop, cloudy eyes and loss of color .
So what do you think I should do??

OP
OP
B

BuddyBonButt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So what do you think? What should I do?

Scorpius

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That Mandarin is starving to death as well. The well defined sunken in areas on the body are telling.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Airstone already added
Sorry, I don’t think there is anything that you can do when mandarin gets that thin.
I see some growths on its fins, but mandarins don’t often get skin flukes or ich. I think the underlying issue is starvation. Once they stop eating, that can’t be reversed, sorry.
Jay

OP
OP
B

BuddyBonButt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry, I don’t think there is anything that you can do when mandarin gets that thin.
I see some growths on its fins, but mandarins don’t often get skin flukes or ich. I think the underlying issue is starvation. Once they stop eating, that can’t be reversed, sorry.
Jay
So I culture apo, tisbe, and tig. I sell gallons a week. That tank is absolutely stocked from introduction to now. From purchasing, and bringing the fish home, I've never seen her actually start packing on food. She wasn't very active to begin with. Do you think this is from before I had her? Or do you think it was my fault? I only offered her pods

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
So I culture apo, tisbe, and tig. I sell gallons a week. That tank is absolutely stocked from introduction to now. From purchasing, and bringing the fish home, I've never seen her actually start packing on food. She wasn't very active to begin with. Do you think this is from before I had her? Or do you think it was my fault? I only offered her pods
If it did not peck at the pods from the onset, it may have had a pre-existing issue not visible which would have offered a slow decline.
If you decide to buy another, Find out how long theyve had it and ask if you can feed some of your own pods to see if it shows interest

OP
OP
B

BuddyBonButt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it did not peck at the pods from the onset, it may have had a pre-existing issue not visible which would have offered a slow decline.
If you decide to buy another, Find out how long theyve had it and ask if you can feed some of your own pods to see if it shows interest
Ok. That's really upsetting. So you dont think this is something I did? That brings me some solice

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Ok. That's really upsetting. So you dont think this is something I did? That brings me some solice
Personally based on your observations, the fish had a condition of some sort already and caught when it became too late

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 61 43.0%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 69 48.6%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 12 8.5%
Back