Mandorian fluke??? Cant tell

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I culture apo, tisbe, and tig. I sell gallons a week. That tank is absolutely stocked from introduction to now. From purchasing, and bringing the fish home, I've never seen her actually start packing on food. She wasn't very active to begin with. Do you think this is from before I had her? Or do you think it was my fault? I only offered her pods
If it wasnt eating the live pods, or eating them, but getting thinner, I think there was something wrong with the fish.

Many mandarins are collected with cyanide. This causes fatal food malabsorption issues in a percentage of these fish.

I despise that illegal practice but it’s been going on for years. The first mandarins I saw for sale in the early 1970’s were $300. The price dropped to $18 by the end of the summer because they learned to catch them easier with drugs…..

Jay

OP
OP
B

BuddyBonButt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it wasnt eating the live pods, or eating them, but getting thinner, I think there was something wrong with the fish.

Many mandarins are collected with cyanide. This causes fatal food malabsorption issues in a percentage of these fish.

I despise that illegal practice but it’s been going on for years. The first mandarins I saw for sale in the early 1970’s were $300. The price dropped to $18 by the end of the summer because they learned to catch them easier with drugs…..

Jay
What the ****??? That's horrible. My god...

Scorpius

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Call my Mandarin Dragonet an outlier, but he eats LRS Reef Frenzy for me. Odd, I know. He hangs out around my Favia's or clams and waits for food to collect on them and then eats away. Clever little fish.

OP
OP
B

BuddyBonButt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Jay
She didn't make it. This was on her body. I'm thinking flukes again. She was practically belly up when I found her earlier today. I fear a FWD would have killed her sooner. But she never once displayed the signs of flukes. She did hide a lot but I figured it was just her getting used to the new tank.

Until I know for sure, I'll be blaming myself and i will learn from this mistake. Have a good night and thank you again jay.

20230109_224317.jpg

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's too late now, but one trick is to take a freshly dead fish and put it in freshwater for 5 minutes and then look for any flukes that have dropped off - sort of a post-mortem test.

Jay

Neptune 555

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm so sorry! I hope you try again soon. I joined the saltwater hobby to have a mandarin.... and I successfully had kept single specimens for 5+ years... They are a joy. I think if not eating in your tank full of pods it was a never going to survive. One idea is to purchase an aquacultured specimen... It won't have a disease, will eat some prepared foods and of course will love your pods!!

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 58 42.3%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 67 48.9%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 12 8.8%
Back