Manganese supplement for Goniopora?

rudysmallfry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am trying to find a manganese supplement for a Goniopora. The only ones I can find come with iron and in some cases, trace amounts of copper. I have fish and other critters in my tank, so copper is out and I'm concerned about iron. Are there any straight manganese supplements? What are people using for their Goni's?

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Iron is used pretty fast in a reef tank and by practically anything photosynthetic. Two little fishes makes an iron and manganese mix and so does kent.

However, triton does make a manganese only supplement

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am trying to find a manganese supplement for a Goniopora. The only ones I can find come with iron and in some cases, trace amounts of copper. I have fish and other critters in my tank, so copper is out and I'm concerned about iron. Are there any straight manganese supplements? What are people using for their Goni's?

Do not assume copper as an ingredient means it should not be used. It is a needed metal, and if the recipe is intended for a reef, and it is a reputable company, it will be appropriately low.

It is hard to overdose on iron. Some folks boost it massively high and like the effects on phosphate precipitation.

HuduVudu

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
R

rudysmallfry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's only a 55 gallon. Everything I've been reading about Goni's says they need it to ward off stress. I am using an amino acid supplement which is apparently the other key to them thriving. I just added it the Goni today, so there's time to get some more info on whether or not I really need Manganese.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's only a 55 gallon. Everything I've been reading about Goni's says they need it to ward off stress. I am using an amino acid supplement which is apparently the other key to them thriving. I just added it the Goni today, so there's time to get some more info on whether or not I really need Manganese.

All photosynthetic organisms need manganese and it depletes very rapidly from seawater with growing macroalgae or microalgae (and likely other organisms). Gonis may have a poorer ability to get needed manganese at lower than NSW levels (which may be the case if not dosing).

My tank appeared to be depleted in manganese, and I did not dose it, but the Triton detection limit (at least at the time) was very close to NSW levels, so it is hard to say how much lower than NSW it was.

Jon Fishman

Cleveland Ohio, buy/sell local!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Chinch Bugs

Attachments

• 64B99473-D202-496D-B8A6-7C195D3B3CDC.jpeg
    64B99473-D202-496D-B8A6-7C195D3B3CDC.jpeg
    26.1 KB · Views: 71

neyes_ice

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yes I have an ICP i have x amount to dose to get to a certain amount, but no instructions after. if its weekly or something else

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Manganese depletes very rapidly, maybe only a day or two (starting at NSW levels) in some tanks since microalgae and macroalgae takes up a lot,, but I do not have a recommendation that assures enough and not too much.

HuduVudu

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Off of what Randy said. I start low and then work up. This isn't easy because to be 100% sure you need new ICP tests every time.

If you are using the nitrate version that I recommended you can use the nitrate test to get a feel for how much you have in solution and then use that to figure out a "low" amount.

Back