OP
User

User

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im planning on using it in a shrimp tank with a lot of fish and ideally wouldn't have a filter and see if the nutrients are uptaken by the mangroves.
They will be. That’s awesome- best of luck.

mborn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice mangroves, looks like they’re doing well! Here’s mine, planted in the sand bed of one of my sumps. It’s been steadily growing towards the LED for 8 months now. This is my first time growing one so I can’t provide any insights about getting them to branch. I’m just observing what it does.
AB262160-BA2B-4D5A-A702-B1140C9D368E.jpeg

OP
OP
User

User

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice mangroves, looks like they’re doing well! Here’s mine, planted in the sand bed of one of my sumps. It’s been steadily growing towards the LED for 8 months now. This is my first time growing one so I can’t provide any insights about getting them to branch. I’m just observing what it does.
AB262160-BA2B-4D5A-A702-B1140C9D368E.jpeg
Thanks!

I keep picking up my little scissors from the bathroom and working myself up as I walk to the basement - but I chicken out as soon as I see the growth. I’m too scared to prune the big one back in case I kill it

think I’m going to wait until it’s a full 30” high, then go for it. Might start off with one that will be the second layer and try it when another one gets to 22”. Not far off.

ScubaFish802

Just keep swimming
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks!

I keep picking up my little scissors from the bathroom and working myself up as I walk to the basement - but I chicken out as soon as I see the growth. I’m too scared to prune the big one back in case I kill it

think I’m going to wait until it’s a full 30” high, then go for it. Might start off with one that will be the second layer and try it when another one gets to 22”. Not far off.
Not sure about mangroves, but most garden plants if you top them they will branch out in some way or another. Definitely scarier on a slow growing tree though..

OP
OP
User

User

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure about mangroves, but most garden plants if you top them they will branch out in some way or another. Definitely scarier on a slow growing tree though..
Yeah- I’ve topped fruit bearing saplings and I’ve done bonsai in the past- but something about chopping 2 months worth of growth back on 1 of 6 remaining plants ive invested months into, is daunting

I’ll suck it up and be a man about... soon.

maybe

ScubaFish802

Just keep swimming
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah- I’ve topped fruit bearing saplings and I’ve done bonsai in the past- but something about chopping 2 months worth of growth back on 1 of 6 remaining plants ive invested months into, is daunting

I’ll suck it up and be a man about... soon.

maybe
No pressure, lol

laverda

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started my mangroves in salt water from day one. They were just little populist with out any roots or leaves. They have grown like weeds, much faster then i expected them to. They are three years old this month I believe. They were growing under my tank and all bunched up against the bottom of the stand, before I moved them about 2 months ago. I need to post some updated photos. You can see them in my Mangrove Lagoon build thread.

OP
OP
User

User

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok guys- mangroves are doing ok, I didn’t get round to pruning, but they continue to grow ok

I got a little distracted the past few months- and I have news. Moving
Into a new house, closed yesterday- which means I’ll be completely redesigning my tank, fishroom, frag tanks etc.

mall that to say- these mangroves are now destined to go into a dedicated shallow mangrove tanks as a main feature in my new walkout basement. Thinking a peaceful community tank with several species I’ve had a little
Trouble with in the main tank.

im a little worried about the move, since I’ve heard they can be a little fragile, but fingers crossed.
I’ll post a link to the new build thread (won’t be up for at least 6-8 weeks) so I can keep you updated.

oh- and we are having another kid. That’s why we need a bigger house.

OP
OP
User

User

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@neilp2006 good luck with the move as well as the new addition to your family! Looking forward to seeing the mangrove setup once you're moved in.
Moving in is taking a bit longer than expected. Wife’s third pregnancy is hitting her like a freight train, elderly MIL and FIL can’t really help other than watch kids 2 times a week, and Covid prevaitions exclude external help. Not risking it. So it’s been 2 trips a day in my Toyota Highlander, hour each way, for the past 2 weeks, plus a couple uhaul rentals. About 80% don’t, not including the fish stuff which I’m scheduling a whole week for, by itself. Going to cycle all 6 of my 10g, 2 x 20longs and 2 40b so I can get rock, livestock up to the new house and take a couple days to break everything else down. Starting that process on Thursday

would like to say I’m not sweating it, but I’d be lying. I am, as they say, fully clenched just thinking about it

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 14 35.0%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 15.0%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 13 32.5%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 6 15.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 2.5%
Back