Mangrove Grow Out

User

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Peeps

Back when setting up my 180 and fihroom, way back in May 2018, i had plans to incorporate a shallow 20Long mangrove tank tied into my main system sump. I got as far as framing in extra studs and blocks in the fishroom walls to support the planned floating 200 lbs of glass, sand, water and mangroves. Plan was to be pretty aggressive with pruning in order to create several well formed miniature Bonsai type mangroves. Nutrient export was not an aim; this would be aesthetic to bring some additional life to my "clinical" fishroom. Other than the mangroves, i was going to have a utilitarian Chaeto fuge or ATS for nutrient control

IMG_5686.JPG

But as plans progressed, and i came to really appreciate Just. How. Awesome these plants are in their own right, and the fact i cant grow Chaeto to save my life (zero nutrients in my almost 18 month old system, so i have to routinely dose nitrate and phosphate to keep chrysophytes at bay)- plans took a dramatic change. I took my chaeto section off line, and had a 40g sump chamber dry for almost 15 months. No sense wasting salt and water doing changes on an empty chamber, considering my sump is already huge compared to my DT (almost 130 gallons without the 40g chaeto chamber).
IMG_2104.JPG

Plans for the floating mangrove tank was stalled out once i realised 1) despite planning, i didnt really have the space once i hung my ATO unit and eventually run my APEX conduits) 2) they deserve more than to be chopped down to 12".

Since September of 2019, ive been looking into turning that Chaeto section into a full blown macro algae tank (if im dosing anyway, why not up it a little and get some aesthetic stimulus from the sump and help with biodiversity?). I incorporated a 5" deep, 30" long floating trough i was going to silicone to the back glass and use as a planter for mangroves.

in retrospect, i think i was either stressed and looking for a creative outlet (i suck at creative outlets) or fixated on the 'floating mangrove tank' idea. i did a mock up with acrylic panels, took one look, then turned the mock up into float switch brackets and did a redesign.

What ive come up with is a tiered deep sandbed in the back 1/3rd for seagrasses, and a 2" deep front section for macro and worms and dusters and other critters, separated by a fake 7' high rock wall. But where are the mangroves, you ask?

They are going into the (future purchase) lowboy 50 in-line frag and grow out tank.

When I built the fishroom, i made a 2'x4' platform stand for a lowboy 50. its been holding up my empty emergency 40b ever since. This year, thats going to change, big time.

Channeling Brad908's awesome mangrove lagoon (ive read that thread maybe 30 times since finding it back in 2018- https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/brads-natural-reef-mangroves-macros-and-more.181378/page-10), im going to make a faux rock volcano/ mangrove planter of around 8"x8" that ill stick in the back left corner of the lowboy50. fill it with miracle mud or something similar for 'local contained' nutrients. itll stick out maybe 2' above the water surface, and i may create a waterfall out of it from the water inlet. Ive also been thinking of keeping a resident red claw crab up there, or maybe a baby sloth or something for a jungle effect. the rest of the tank will be shallow sandbed and rock rubble acting as frag plugs (thatll probably change to bare bottom and eggcrate, lol).

Then, in October, right when i was in the midst of going through the replanning, Reefbuilders came out with their mangrove substrate article (https://reefbuilders.com/2019/10/31/freshwater-substrate-vs-aragonite-mangrove-growth-test/#). I knew then after seeing the result that i was on the right track with the planter and mud idea- the pictures were striking.

Then stuff happened, and suddenly it was april 2020. After seeing several mangrove threads pop up, and seeing the awesome work a bunch of people have been doing, i again got the bug, and read page after page. After seeing posts by @pelican and @inland_reef , i literally immediately purchased seven red mangroves from ebay, and figured- no time better than now, lets get it going.

I planned to set them up floating in a 5 gal bucket, in my fishroom, under a 35w, 2500 lumen 6500K led spotlight. use tank water to bring the salinity from 1.010 to the 1.025 display sg, over the course of 3-4 months. give them time to grow, I can shape and trim, and come time when i set up the lowboy, id have something more than propagules or baby plants to work with.
IMG_2187.JPG
IMG_2188.JPG

when they arrived- I realized my plan was flawed and id need a plan B. These plants were more advanced than expected and there was no way they could float in a bucket and be happy with the conditions i proposed.

IMG_2189.JPG
IMG_2196.JPG

I got back to researching and remembered the reefbreeders article, and made a few more orders.
IMG_2213.JPG

i spent an hour yesterday planting the mangroves and getting them situated.

right now- they are in the saturation tray, enjoying full Georgia May sun. ill be topping up daily evaporation losses with freshwater, and exchnaging 1/4 cup with tank water daily to creep the salinity up slowly towards display levels. Plan to drop in here and give weekly/ biweekly growth updates

IMG_2215.JPG
IMG_2217.JPG

Last edited:

sixty_reefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Basement sumps are awesome, cool idea to grow them out first need to read on it as it looks a good method.

OP
OP
User

User

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Basement sumps are awesome, cool idea to grow them out first need to read on it as it looks a good method.
I basically just asked the vendor how he does it, and he puts 1-200 in a rubbermaid horse trough (the big black ones some people make sumps out of) and has the substrate set right at the height of an overflow- so they are saturated at all times. He grows them in a greenhouse in florida using mud he collects from his strip of waterfront property

Figurwd since plan A was a fail, i should give them the best chance to fill out before consigning them to the basement
Ill use 4 in the frag tank- other 3 might become general decor

OP
OP
User

User

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hi All

Well, that 3 months sure went by real fast. sorry for the lack of updates.

anyway- things were going fine for about a month, then two things happened in the space of a couple days. 1- I forgot to bring the mangroves in from their day in the sun, and i remembered at 2am, ran downstairs and brought them in... but it was an uncharacteristically cold evening, 44oF, so i may have done a little damage with the cold. lost a few leaves but nothing major. 2- Two days later, im watching hummingbirds on the feeder directly adjacent to the mangrove container, when a squirrel drops from the tree above, straight onto the container, knocking it over. 1 of the mangroves was completely broken in half, another was bent pretty severely, and all had come out of the substrate. I gathered them all up as best i could, replanted the 6 survivors, andgot them into the fishroom. After about a week, it was evident that the badly bent one wasnt doing well, it had dropped it’s leaves and was very spongy when the stem was squeezed (apparently an indication of damage, but i kept it in the tray.

Since then, ive been doing about a 5% wc a week, plus adding a quarter cup of 1.026 water from the tank every two days to bring up salinity. I did notice a significant amount of yellowing leaves on two plants, so adjusted postition as to not keep them too close to the light (thinking temp stress). However, another two weeks later, still yellow, so that didnt seem to help. at this point i was thinking magnesium deficiency, given the mg requirement of the sodium export pump in the roots, and the current salinity >1.000.

yesterday, I did a complete water change with 1.007sg water, adjusted the magnesium to 500ppm with Epsom salts, added a little F2 fertilizer, and took some pics. a couple have got some nice growth and numerous leaves, but a few others haven't grown very much. The one that was badly bent is only just starting to firm up and unveil its first new leaves (it dropped its 2 the day after the 'crash')

Some pics-

321B8B37-023C-4D6E-877A-CBE21EE6E668.jpeg
C6C29387-F79B-4A2E-82CA-FDCE252E159F.jpeg
076FD60D-0908-4A67-BED2-AC21A2168A0B.jpeg
8B40016E-073B-48C3-B2BA-06B3D16F31C9.jpeg
9D5C3544-AACE-45E0-961E-00D9C4FBE301.jpeg

im actually picking up the lowboy 50 these are going into on Tuesday next week, but these guys have got another couple months in the grow out. I haven’t been raising the salinity very fast, and can probably afford to step that up a bit, but there’s no critical rush. I still have to figure out my volcano rock work anyway, and my actual light solution (I have 3 bulbs of various color temp just pointed at this tray under the stand for now but want a proper fixture for the real install.

Last edited:

SkiCatTX

Sustainable Reefkeeping
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hi All

Well, that 3 months sure went by real fast. sorry for the lack of updates.

anyway- things were going fine for about a month, then two things happened in the space of a couple days. 1- I forgot to bring the mangroves in from their day in the sun, and i remembered at 2am, ran downstairs and brought them in... but it was an uncharacteristically cold evening, 44oF, so i may have done a little damage with the cold. lost a few leaves but nothing major. 2- Two days later, im watching hummingbirds on the feeder directly adjacent to the mangrove container, when a squirrel drops from the tree above, straight onto the container, knocking it over. 1 of the mangroves was completely broken in half, another was bent pretty severely, and all had come out of the substrate. I gathered them all up as best i could, replanted the 6 survivors, andgot them into the fishroom. After about a week, it was evident that the badly bent one wasnt doing well, it had dropped it’s leaves and was very spongy when the stem was squeezed (apparently an indication of damage, but i kept it in the tray.

Since then, ive been doing about a 5% wc a week, plus adding a quarter cup of 1.026 water from the tank every two days to bring up salinity. I did notice a significant amount of yellowing leaves on two plants, so adjusted postition as to not keep them too close to the light (thinking temp stress). However, another two weeks later, still yellow, so that didnt seem to help. at this point i was thinking magnesium deficiency, given the mg requirement of the sodium export pump in the roots, and the current salinity >1.000.

yesterday, I did a complete water change with 1.007sg water, adjusted the magnesium to 500ppm with Epsom salts, added a little F2 fertilizer, and took some pics. a couple have got some nice growth and numerous leaves, but a few others haven't grown very much. The one that was badly bent is only just starting to firm up and unveil its first new leaves (it dropped its 2 the day after the 'crash')

Some pics-

321B8B37-023C-4D6E-877A-CBE21EE6E668.jpeg
C6C29387-F79B-4A2E-82CA-FDCE252E159F.jpeg
076FD60D-0908-4A67-BED2-AC21A2168A0B.jpeg
8B40016E-073B-48C3-B2BA-06B3D16F31C9.jpeg
9D5C3544-AACE-45E0-961E-00D9C4FBE301.jpeg

im actually picking up the lowboy 50 these are going into on Tuesday next week, but these guys have got another couple months in the grow out. I haven’t been raising the salinity very fast, and can probably afford to step that up a bit, but there’s no critical rush. I still have to figure out my volcano rock work anyway, and my actual light solution (I have 3 bulbs of various color temp just pointed at this tray under the stand for now but want a proper fixture for the real install.
Interesting all the info on Mangroves. I am totally going to try some at some point.

OP
OP
User

User

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very interesting thread :) ~Shaun K
Appreciate that! Thanks

lots more to come. I’m hoping to turn them into a low-ish bonsai canopy Covering about 2’x 18”. Will be a couple years before it gets to that point, but I’m only a couple months out from pruning and shaping the tallest plant. Looking forward to the challenge

OP
OP
User

User

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Mangrove peeps!

question: how soon can I trim the growth tip in order to constrain height and force branching?

should I wait until the axial front has created a natural branch?

i don’t want to kill a good growing tree by cutting it too early. This one for example-

585D1BDB-9466-4A6B-9A9B-712CE92D2114.jpeg

its at 22” and I’m tempted to cut that new tip back, but I dont want to risk killingjit

I ask because I read this in Calfos Reefkeeping article, but, typically for his articles, it is unclear regarding what constitutes an axial tip, or if ‘split’ means full branches or Of leaves are sufficient.

“If you must trim your tree, be sure to delay any pruning until after the axial tip has branched. Damage to the growing tip before it has split can be fatal to young specimens.”

Thanks

OP
OP
User

User

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice job, apparently there aren't too many mangrove people around here...
Yeah, been a little surprised. Quality vs quantity though- honored you dropped in

this stuff was supposed to be in my frag tank by now, but I haven’t even plumbed it. Girls are at home full time instead of school and we were looking for a house/ planning a build so it all got pushed aside.

getting next weekendto myself, and have a bunch of projects to do- but I’m swinging towards getting my frag tank plumbed in. If I do- I’ll speed up the salinity ramp and have them in fairly soon.

Dcal

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im thinking about getting some mangroves and curious about your experienced growth rate. From what I saw on the ruler it looks like about 6inches in 5 months ish?

OP
OP
User

User

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im thinking about getting some mangroves and curious about your experienced growth rate. From what I saw on the ruler it looks like about 6inches in 5 months ish?
Yeah- that’s fair. Moderate light, very slow salinity ramp

If you want to make them grow fast, keep them in freshwater and fertilize them. Grow until they are about where you want them height wise, then do a shorter salinity ramp while training them to shape with bonsai wire. I wouldn’t do a salinity ramp any less than 6-8 weeks though. Mine has been 5 months and are only at 1.014sg.

Dcal

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah- that’s fair. Moderate light, very slow salinity ramp

If you want to make them grow fast, keep them in freshwater and fertilize them. Grow until they are about where you want them height wise, then do a shorter salinity ramp while training them to shape with bonsai wire. I wouldn’t do a salinity ramp any less than 6-8 weeks though. Mine has been 5 months and are only at 1.014sg.
That was my plan. Im doing a 20l fresh water tank and I was planning on only keeping them in that. Any idea what growth I should get in pure fresh?

OP
OP
User

User

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That was my plan. Im doing a 20l fresh water tank and I was planning on only keeping them in that. Any idea what growth I should get in pure fresh?
Considering these were in weak brackish for a while and fresh for 2-3 weeks up front, I’d say about the same honestly. You’d need fertilizer for that rate though. Just straight up water won’t have anything in it nutrient-wise that they need to grow.

Dcal

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im planning on using it in a shrimp tank with a lot of fish and ideally wouldn't have a filter and see if the nutrients are uptaken by the mangroves.

Back