Mangroves and macro algae in cycling tank ?

Hud

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am going to be setting up a 20 gallon reef/macro and mangrove tank this weekend.I was wondering if you can put mangroves and macro algae in a tank that is cycling with bacteria and ammonia?

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can, but just make sure there is at least some phosphate present. The macros may also take in some of the nitrogen compounds.

Eric R.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Neither macros or mangroves require a cycled tank. My guess is that they can probably use the ammonia as easily, if not more easily than they would use nitrate. They won't be harmed by it at least. Though I'd be interested if anyone with more specific knowledge on this topic can share any additional information or resources they may have.

Sean Clark

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been growing them for fun. They are quite resilient. I think they will be fine in a cycling system. Just make sure they get some food.
Screenshot_20220302-205925_Gallery.jpg

OP
OP
Hud

Hud

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Th
Neither macros or mangroves require a cycled tank. My guess is that they can probably use the ammonia as easily, if not more easily than they would use nitrate. They won't be harmed by it at least. Though I'd be interested if anyone with more specific knowledge on this topic can share any additional information or resources they may have.
thank you for telling me that I appreciate it

OP
OP
Hud

Hud

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been growing them for fun. They are quite resilient. I think they will be fine in a cycling system. Just make sure they get some food.
Screenshot_20220302-205925_Gallery.jpg
Those are beautiful for lighting is natural lighting coming in from a window good enough? And what do they eat I know they don’t like physically eat but do they absorb phosphate for food ? If so how do you make sure there’s enough

Sean Clark

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They won't get the red coloration on the leaves if they don't get enough light. They will still grow. I would try the window and see how the leaves color up over time. Add light if they don't show any red.

They only need a little nitrogen, phosphorous, manganese, and iron. I am sure they use more elements but those are what I watch.

Your un-cycled tank may need a bit of supplementation at first but these are pretty hearty.

OP
OP
Hud

Hud

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They won't get the red coloration on the leaves if they don't get enough light. They will still grow. I would try the window and see how the leaves color up over time. Add light if they don't show any red.

They only need a little nitrogen, phosphorous, manganese, and iron. I am sure they use more elements but those are what I watch.

Your un-cycled tank may need a bit of supplementation at first but these are pretty hearty.
Ok thank you, also can you put them on rocks ? Or do you need to put sand on the rocks to put them on rocks ?

Sean Clark

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok thank you, also can you put them on rocks ? Or do you need to put sand on the rocks to put them on rocks ?
They shoot out stiff roots as they grow. Sand is ok, rubble rock is ok, or a mix. I doubt you could keep on directly on a rock. I could be wrong.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 39 34.2%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 23 20.2%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.9%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 27.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.5%
Back