Mantis Shrimp trying to break overflow

PurplePeopleEater

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My mantis shrimp has been trying to break the overflow box thing for hours now. He has done no damage yet but should I be worried? I'm not sure how to discourage this behavior?

Attachments

• 20220428_154115.mp4
    52.8 MB
OP
OP
PurplePeopleEater

PurplePeopleEater

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He has a den that sleeps in at night, closes the door to it and everything. and comes out to different caves n such during the day, I think to hunt.

He has the whole 10 gal tank to himself besides a few snails n crabs that he is slowly devouring.

But I agree, he is thinking that would be a better den.

He is still at it. He hits it about 4 times then runs away. Comes back at it in less than a minute. Over n over.

I guess I'm glad he's not hitting the glass.

OP
OP
PurplePeopleEater

PurplePeopleEater

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lots of hiding places I think. 17 lbs of live rock.
20220428_160159.jpg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Dont see it breaking it duwe to typical thickness however look on other side as something is attracting its attention such as a snail or similar.
Rarely do i see them climb up a tank as they are generally hiding within rocks

OP
OP
PurplePeopleEater

PurplePeopleEater

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just an update: He's still at it. He spends about 5-8 hours a day running up and hitting the overflow, then running back. I'm feeling pretty confident that he's not gonna break it at this point. But I can't confirm the idea that mantis shrimp are very smart. I'm thinking the opposite.

FYI: I do feed him a large piece of krill every day that he takes from my feeding tongs so I don't think it's a hunger thing.

\m/reefsnmetal\m/

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just an update: He's still at it. He spends about 5-8 hours a day running up and hitting the overflow, then running back. I'm feeling pretty confident that he's not gonna break it at this point. But I can't confirm the idea that mantis shrimp are very smart. I'm thinking the opposite.

FYI: I do feed him a large piece of krill every day that he takes from my feeding tongs so I don't think it's a hunger thing.
Lol he just wants to make sure it's still there. Props to whoever manufactured the overflow.

Back