Many kinds of hitchhikers? Looks like my tank is screwed

Zhugelaocunfu

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Algae problem causes me to suffer after past 6 months and finally found out is my light is too long after chit chatting with in a fish shop. Anyway, recently the tank suddenly appeared many kinds of hitchhikers: a kind of algae,Vermetid Snail, one or two fireworms (At least looks like, it has white huffs, hates light but never appeared on coral tho) and an unknown blackworm has white tip. These hitchhikers make me feel like I am totally screwed:

The blackworm grows quite long and it likes to peek its head out from a hole:
IMG_0629.jpg

And the algae looks like this (it has stem):

IMG_0630.jpg

Last edited:

Trixter227

Wrasse Wrangler
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Algae problem causes me to suffer after past 6 months and finally found out is my light is too long after chit chatting with in a fish shop. Anyway, recently the tank suddenly appeared many kinds of hitchhikers: a kind of algae,Vermetid Snail, one or two fireworms (At least looks like, it has white huffs, hates light but never appeared on coral tho) and an unknown blackworm has white tip. These hitchhikers make me feel like I am totally screwed:

IMG_0629.jpg

IMG_0630.jpg
It can 100% feel like a loseing or never ending battle. Your tank is just sorting out its balance, with you to help. Very few hitchhikers will "ruin" the tank outright.

Vermited snails are ugly and annoying. Not overly harmful from my experience. The mucus stings can irritate coral, but in my experience it doesn't faze many if any. Maybe SPS?

Fireworms however are gnarly if that is what it is. I know the more commonly acquired is a bristleworm. Red and blue body, still will poke/sting you. Just not as bad. Technically they are a good part of CUC as they are amazing detritus/leftover eaters. I think they are spooky and icky lol!

Algea is probably the hardest to deal with depending on the type. Mainly nutrient control. And if possible somthing to outcompete it. Refugium/macro algea/turf scrubber/coral. There is also chemical fixes for some algeas but i believe it kills ALL algea.

Hopefully i helped some! I know someone else will chime in with more specific help/info ALSO post your tank size and parameters!! Always the first thing to include. :)

Upvote 1

Reefing102

Metal Halides Til The End
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@trixter227 gave some good advice. Generally in my experience with the Fireworms I have in my tank they are not light sensitive. Bristleworms yes but not Fireworms though that may vary with each species.

Your algae appears to be Caulpera of some sort, possibly grape caulpera. This can become invasive if not maintained (either by hand or with fish) the issue is to be sure to get the roots as well.

No idea on the worm though. Hope this helps some!

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Zhugelaocunfu

Zhugelaocunfu

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anymore info om the black worm. Size? Does the whole body move?
It moves but never get its whole body out of the hole it is hiding,usually its just the tip part peeking out of the hole,I would say it looks like those parasite hairworm (Gordiidae). my tanks size is 45cm^3(around 96L), light is 100W and turned to 40%, water test will be done after one to two hours (currently doing other stuff)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
Zhugelaocunfu

Zhugelaocunfu

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It can 100% feel like a loseing or never ending battle. Your tank is just sorting out its balance, with you to help. Very few hitchhikers will "ruin" the tank outright.

Vermited snails are ugly and annoying. Not overly harmful from my experience. The mucus stings can irritate coral, but in my experience it doesn't faze many if any. Maybe SPS?

Fireworms however are gnarly if that is what it is. I know the more commonly acquired is a bristleworm. Red and blue body, still will poke/sting you. Just not as bad. Technically they are a good part of CUC as they are amazing detritus/leftover eaters. I think they are spooky and icky lol!

Algea is probably the hardest to deal with depending on the type. Mainly nutrient control. And if possible somthing to outcompete it. Refugium/macro algea/turf scrubber/coral. There is also chemical fixes for some algeas but i believe it kills ALL algea.

Hopefully i helped some! I know someone else will chime in with more specific help/info ALSO post your tank size and parameters!! Always the first thing to include. :)
All of the parameters I have measured in my tank:
size:45*45*45 cm (96L)
salinity: 1.026
Ammonia: 0.1 I guess? (somewhere between 0.1 to 0.2)
NO2:0
NO3:0
PO4:0
temp:26 (my cooler is on so it will never goes above 27)

BTW here is an image of the fireworm like thingy in my tank:
IMG_0632.jpg

It will instantly goes back to the hole once I point my flashlight at it.

Upvote 0

Kmst80

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No need to freak out mate. Your algae looks like grape caulerpa as mentioned before, if you have or get tangs or a foxface this will be no problem.
Your fireworm is most likely beneficial rather than a nuisance, read this

www.ronshimek.com/annelids.html

About the black worm I can't say much, I had one in my live rock but didn't put it in my tank. Looked like a bristle worm though.
20221214_191426.jpg

I find the more hitchhikers the better, more biodiversity. I had before and got again one or more mantis shrimp in my rock, I know where they are and keep an eye on them but the last one got to 2 inches in size and gave me no trouble.

Upvote 0

Rugops

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bristle worms are the ones that hide when the light is on.

Fire worms however will actually be out and about regardless of the time.

Upvote 0

JoJosReef

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No need to freak out mate. Your algae looks like grape caulerpa as mentioned before, if you have or get tangs or a foxface this will be no problem.

About the black worm I can't say much, I had one in my live rock but didn't put it in my tank. Looked like a bristle worm though.
20221214_191426.jpg

I find the more hitchhikers the better, more biodiversity. I had before and got again one or more mantis shrimp in my rock, I know where they are and keep an eye on them but the last one got to 2 inches in size and gave me no trouble.
Hard to tell, because I can't see all of the antennae, but that looks like a eunice worm to me. Amazing color!

Upvote 0

Outlaw Corals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

IMG_0629.jpg

IMG_0630.jpg

IMG_0629.jpg

IMG_0630.jpg

You need to get a algae scrubber like right away if you want to get rid of all that algae, it took me 3 weeks to completely clear my tank of all algae once i got the scrubber running, they are a total game changer

Upvote 0

JoJosReef

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A white band behind its head
Typical marking of a eunice worm. They tend to stick to their holes and are lightning fast at retracting. Next, look to see if it has 5 straight antennae sticking out if the front of its head. Most are nothing to worry about, but can get big and freaky.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Zhugelaocunfu

Zhugelaocunfu

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

20221214_191426.jpg

The problem of algae is that I can't find anything suitable one to bring in my tank:
Tang: my tank is only 100L,not a good size for one
Foxface: same

Upvote 0

Snoopdog

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@trixter227 gave some good advice. Generally in my experience with the Fireworms I have in my tank they are not light sensitive. Bristleworms yes but not Fireworms though that may vary with each species.

Your algae appears to be Caulpera of some sort, possibly grape caulpera. This can become invasive if not maintained (either by hand or with fish) the issue is to be sure to get the roots as well.

No idea on the worm though. Hope this helps some!

Yeah that is grape, love that stuff. I wish I could find it local.

Upvote 0

elysics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The problem of algae is that I can't find anything suitable one to bring in my tank:
Tang: my tank is only 100L,not a good size for one
Foxface: same
Your hands are suitable, aren't they? Reaching in and slowly ripping the caulerpa out, trying to get the roots. You'll probably have some roots stay and regrow, but then you just repeat ripping them out when you see them. At some point the roots will get weaker and die off they can't regrow forever if you keep ripping them out.

Upvote 0

Snoopdog

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your hands are suitable, aren't they? Reaching in and slowly ripping the caulerpa out, trying to get the roots. You'll probably have some roots stay and regrow, but then you just repeat ripping them out when you see them. At some point the roots will get weaker and die off they can't regrow forever if you keep ripping them out.

You can use a stainless steel pick to chip away any roots, works like a charm.

Upvote 0

paragrouper

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This was my experience

Upvote 0

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 36 15.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 13.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 134 58.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 7.0%
Back