MAR 3181

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

ReefTeacher

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Roger,

I bought a 3181 algae reactor back in October from Aquarium Specialty. I was doing some work in the sump this week and I noticed the pump was not working. The controller has power and lights up, but the pump does not. When I power it down using the feed button, and then repower it, it makes a sound...like something is landing! no joke! How should we proceed?

OP
OP
R

ReefTeacher

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ummm....prime the pump? It had been working for months and the pump is submerged in the sump. I'm not sure what you mean.

rvitko

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you opened the pump and removed the impeller? The noise would indicate there is something going on with the impeller, a foreign object, calcium deposits, possibly broken blade, or that the cover over the impeller well is loose or not lined up properly. It would be about due for a break down and cleaning at this point.

OP
OP
R

ReefTeacher

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You will never believe what it was.

I cleaned the impeller and the pump, which really did not seem bad at all. I tested it in the sump and the pump was working fine. I hooked it back up to the reactor (can I say I LOATHE those hoses) and still nothing...hmmmm.

Come to find out, a piece of algae had broken free and traveled up to the top of the reactor preventing anything from exiting. Once I cleared that out, everything works fine. I never thought to look because the reactor isn't that full right now.

rvitko

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great news! Sorry for the very late reply.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.6%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 42 36.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 35 30.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 28 24.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back