New England Coral Connection Pink Pussycat
Sexy Corals Orange Passion

Braves Fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just finished reading your post on this tank ,,, You may not have built the stand ,, but you have skills ,,, really like how your rock structure turned out ,, that's nice :)

A couple of question's here ,,, why the T5 lights along with the Radion lights ,, I would think the Radion's would make the tank look great just by themselves ,,, second question ,,, something else that surprised me ,,, two MP40's for this tank ,,, that seems like a lot of flow ,, depending on what you have them set at anyway ,,, how many dots do you run them at ? Another thing that surprises me ,,, its only a 50g tank ,, that's a long list of SPS frags in your tank ,, its hard for me to believe you can fit that many corals in a 50g tank ,,, and give them enough room to grow,,, How do you like that Reef Octopus 110 skimmer ,,, how much water do you have it sitting in?

I am thinking of setting up a cube tank like your's ,,, that's why the questions :)

OP
OP
Marc11

Marc11

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Braves Fan. Here are the answers to your questions.
I added T5's because over the years I have tried every light out there and found that LED/T5 combo has the best results for color and spread. Led's are very directional, by adding the T5s some of the hard to reach areas get covered better.
I run the MP40's at 45%. They are on 2 second pulse, and they are on the back bottom wall of tank. This makes a nice random undertow that my corals love.
Yes I have a lot of sps, most are still in large frag stage. I sell a lot of corals as well, so you can never have enough. I have a frag rack on the barebottom. The high end stuff makes it to the rock, the lower end stuff is on the rack and usually gets fragged and sold.
As for the skimmer, I love it. I had a Super Reef Octopus 1000 originally on this tank. My buddy who had a very similar system was using the 110 and was getting better results so I bought one. Thing is a beast. As far as the water level I have it on a platform I built out of egg crate. It sits at 7 inches.

My next idea is to add a CO2 scrubber to my tank. Since going to the calcium reactor my PH is lower than I would like.

OP
OP
Marc11

Marc11

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is a picture of calcium reactor run by a masterflex. I cut a hole in the wall, took out once tile. Nice having it in separate room. Please don’t judge the crazy color scheme, that was previous owner.
54610784328__9695EC35-EB0F-4913-9DE3-6B24343AD0A1.JPG

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.3%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 43 35.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 37 30.6%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 30 24.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.8%
Back