marco rock

jose hernandez

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so i was revamping my set up wanted to add more rock i have 50lbs of marco dry rock would adding it to my system be bad or do i need to cycle it tank is 200 gallons

MaxTremors

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so i was revamping my set up wanted to add more rock i have 50lbs of marco dry rock would adding it to my system be bad or do i need to cycle it tank is 200 gallons
Adding an extra 50 pounds of dry rock won’t affect the biological filtration of your tank, there is no need to cycle it. I would rinse it either in RODI or in tank water (from a water change) to get any dust off of it, but otherwise you can just put it into the tank. It will likely go through an ugly phase as various algae and encrusting organisms fight for real estate, but it won’t affect your tanks ability to nitrify. You may want to keep an eye on your phosphates, dry rock can sponge up phosphates, you don’t want them to bottom out, so monitor them and be prepared to dose some phosphates if need be.

Nate Chalk

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just doubled my rock with dry i can attest that it will go through uglies and may throw off balance . Nothing terrible though.
Just like above I did bottom out phos and got dinos started again. Added neo phos to ato and now im back on track.

OP
OP
J

jose hernandez

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my phosphates are really high so i guess thats a good thing would it be better to put them in the sump first im not using my refugium to help not get the ugly phase

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 113 87.6%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.2%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.3%
Back