Marga Cipta Acrylic Usable for a Sump?

Entomophage

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey All,

I recently purchased a 4' x 8' sheet of 3/8" cast acrylic from a local plastics supplier. I had asked for Acrylite GP by name, and the shop owner told me that while he didn't carry it, he had another brand that's "the same". In my enthusiasm to keep my reef build moving along I was quick to accept his assurance and forked over $270 for it.

Welp..... after getting home with it and doing a little Google searching, I've found a few threads here on R2R and elsewhere where it's being referred to as "cheap asian junk" that apparently won't weld weld easily and/or will produce weak seams that fail over time.

Does anyone have direct experience with Marga Cipta acrylic that can confirm/deny this anecdotal evidence. Better yet, can anyone tell me why/how exactly this product is inferior to other types of cast acrylic? Specifically, I'm wondering if the performance characteristics can fluctuate from year to year (or batch to batch?) making it worth at least a test weld. That said, I'm reluctant to cut into the sheet which will hurt any chance I've got of getting my money back I'm sure.

So am I wasting my time even trying to make this work, or is the answer "it depends", and if the latter how can I maximize any chance of success?

Here's a pic in case it helps:

20191223_105932.jpg

OP
OP
Entomophage

Entomophage

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. My instinct is to try and make it work, honestly. This tank is going in my office, and I'm not willing to risk potential leaks. If I have to eat the cost to learn how to work with acrylic I can live with that. But if this stuff is really not going to weld properly I don't want to just frustrate myself.

Soulreefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
brand margacipta, This acrylic in Indonesia the most superior brand, I use to make neonbox for very large sizes on average over 2 meters, and I have used a lot for my customers, minimum age above 3 years outside the room is still very good. I think for Sump to be safe, as long as the gluing technique has to be good.

cromag27

octoaquatics.com - ig = @octoaquatics. view my sig
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
some of the worst stuff you’ll ever find.

@cromag27 @Elder1945 any thoughts on this stuff?
brand margacipta, This acrylic in Indonesia the most superior brand, I use to make neonbox for very large sizes on average over 2 meters, and I have used a lot for my customers, minimum age above 3 years outside the room is still very good. I think for Sump to be safe, as long as the gluing technique has to be good.

cromag27

octoaquatics.com - ig = @octoaquatics. view my sig
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@cromag27 What makes it so bad? If I can get it to take a weld will I be okay?

everything about it. it cuts bad and it welds bad. even if you think it’s going to be ok, i wouldn’t trust it. i’ve used it before.

OP
OP
Entomophage

Entomophage

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, at this point I'm just going to buy a sump. Not the end of the world, but the only off-the-shelf item I could find that matches my need is Melev's model M. He hasn't replied to the few emails I sent, unfortunately.

I'm looking for something with generous refugium space that puts the skimmer compartment right after the inflow and allows me to control the rate of flow through the refugium independently of the "main" section.

Trigger makes some decent "triton" sumps. Looking at those too.

JoshH

Tank Status: Wet...ish, growing things....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, at this point I'm just going to buy a sump. Not the end of the world, but the only off-the-shelf item I could find that matches my need is Melev's model M. He hasn't replied to the few emails I sent, unfortunately.

I'm looking for something with generous refugium space that puts the skimmer compartment right after the inflow and allows me to control the rate of flow through the refugium independently of the "main" section.

Trigger makes some decent "triton" sumps. Looking at those too.

You could shoot Jeff at Lifereef an email and maybe go the custom route. Or GEO, Advanced Acrylics and so on. Might cost you slightly more than the Trigger but it would be EXACTLY what you want :)

Good trouble: Have mushrooms ever become pests in your aquarium?

• Mushrooms would never be pests even if they kept replicating.

Votes: 29 16.9%
  • Mushrooms have not become a pest for me.

Votes: 71 41.3%
  • Mushroom have become overgrown, but not to the point of becoming pests.

Votes: 25 14.5%
  • Mushrooms have become pests in my aquarium.

Votes: 37 21.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 5.8%
Back