Marine Betta help

Waters

"...in perfect isolation, here behind my wall."
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I added a Marine Betta almost 2 1/2 weeks ago........still have not seen him eat.....or come out of his cave for that matter. I have tried bouncing frozen shrimp and silversides in front of him which he shows no interest in. I have tried direct and broadcast feedings of mysis and pellets. Anything live just gets devoured by the other fish in the tank. I had no idea these could be so difficult to get to eat. I am starting to lose hope :( Any ideas?

scchase

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pretty common IME also they generally will feed off the rocks, often takes up to 6 months for them to be more active.

Chefwheredyougo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
try feeding live ghost shrimp. The shrimp dies fairly quickly in the SW, but the movement definitely garners a feeding response. It's the only thing mine would eat at first, at a few months it slowly started taking to frozen

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hopefully he's scavenging, Betta's can be difficult to start feeding. Ideally he would have started in an observation tank in case you needed to start with live food. Being in the display with other fish to get the live food now makes it a difficult task. You can try something smaller like live brine shrimp, live black worms, or even some pods placed into the rocks, something that the other fish won't be bothered with. You can also try and block the other fish while herding some ghosties toward the Betta's cave. It's a 50/50 proposition at this point, these guys do come around but the initially feeding can be difficult.

Goodair

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can try broadcast feeding on the opposite side of the betas cave to distract em, and drop a live shrimp in front of the cave and use a net to ward off any one else. Try to position yourself where your hidden. This is not a guarantee, just something else you can try to see if you get a response. Also helps when you do it with dim lights.

Hugh Mann

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Patience, Bettas usually take a while to come around. Mine took almost a month before it would eat frozen foods. Every now and again I would catch it out of the corner of my eye picking at something on the rocks.

Even now I have to put food in the tank and back off. Doesn't always eat when I am right next to the tank.

If you have a high flow, maybe try turning it down, but not off. They can also be pretty slow eaters, especially at first, cautiously approaching food, looking at it and then taking it. All the time mine ignores food if it's blowing around too much.

Mysis and brine is a good go to. Also small chunks of shrimp and scallop mine will readily eat.

OP
OP
Waters

Waters

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks everyone. Part of the issue is I have not seen him even leave his little cave......hard to even get food to him. If he sees me, he immediately turns his body and buries his head into the rock. As of right now, there has been absolutely zero interest in food....or even leaving his hole. I have a very non aggressive tank with normal reef fish so it definitely isn't an issue there. I will keep trying and hope for the best :(

Chefwheredyougo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He will eventually start eating, or at the very least picking the rocks when you aren't around. They are very adept at finding food. Just be patient with him and it'll be all good

Fourstars

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Probably finding enough to eat. My male often turns his nose up at my offering, female always at the glass begging for food. I would not worry to much, I’m sure he/she will start eating soon.

tuan12321

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have a lot of pods in your tank? They often hunt at night and could be getting enough food from pods.

OP
OP
Waters

Waters

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately he did not make it.....lasted a couple of months and slowly starved to death I guess :( To answer your question, no, I don't have a lot of pods.....he just never showed any interest in feeding at all. Tried many different types of food with no luck.

John09

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I added a Marine Betta almost 2 1/2 weeks ago........still have not seen him eat.....or come out of his cave for that matter. I have tried bouncing frozen shrimp and silversides in front of him which he shows no interest in. I have tried direct and broadcast feedings of mysis and pellets. Anything live just gets devoured by the other fish in the tank. I had no idea these could be so difficult to get to eat. I am starting to lose hope :( Any ideas?

John09

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First few days of getting my betta fish I put it in a 10 gallon tank and noticed it never eats anything. So I tried putting the betta fish back into the plastic cup that I got it in during feeding time and dropped bloodworms, brine shrimp, tropical fish flakes and betta pellets soon after the 3rd day it started recognizing the food it will be getting. I also drop it in the same spot everytime nowadays he can't get enough of it.

OP
OP
Waters

Waters

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First few days of getting my betta fish I put it in a 10 gallon tank and noticed it never eats anything. So I tried putting the betta fish back into the plastic cup that I got it in during feeding time and dropped bloodworms, brine shrimp, tropical fish flakes and betta pellets soon after the 3rd day it started recognizing the food it will be getting. I also drop it in the same spot everytime nowadays he can't get enough of it.
Hey John.....this is a thread from a few years ago....that fish didn't make it. You are talking about freshwater Bettas though......I had a marine betta.
Marine-Betta-Fish-Care-1080x675.jpg

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 97 88.2%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.7%
Back