Marine betta spitting out food

drmantistoboggan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I purchased a marine betta about a week ago. At first it wouldn’t eat frozen at all, now I drop some mysis in the tank, it looks at it and will put it in its mouth but then spit it back out after half a second or so. What should I do to get it to eat? Should I give it live? I don’t want to discourage it from eating the frozen but the spitting out of mysis is odd. Should I try another food?

Goodair

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Live shrimp. If they spit it out, its because the food is too big or they dont like the taste. Betas are pretty finicky eaters. What size is your fish atm?

OP
OP
D

drmantistoboggan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Live shrimp. If they spit it out, its because the food is too big or they dont like the taste. Betas are pretty finicky eaters. What size is your fish atm?
He’s small. I’d say 3 inches but a good chunk of that is his tail

Hugh Mann

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Marine Bettas are super finicky eaters.
By that I mean super duper finicky.

Mine took about a month to actually eat frozen foods, survived on pods alone pretty much.

To this day it still spits out mysis if it grabs too big a piece. Try smaller pieces, or different foods.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Mine did that for about two weeks and now cant get enough food !!

OP
OP
D

drmantistoboggan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you everyone for your input! I got some brine just so he gets something in his stomach. I’ll start chopping the mysis smaller and see if that helps.

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Week two. Still spitting it out. Ate some brine but that’s it

They do come around if given time, these are another fish that may need live foods to settle in. Don't let him starve before giving him time to acclimate. You may need to give him live ghost shrimp a few feedings, they will also eat guppies. Live black worms if you can get them, I can't get them where I live. Pods and live brine shrimp. If he is taking live brine shrimp, start mixing in mysis and frozen brine with the live. Once they get going, although some are extremely shy, they will start to accept other foods. Mine would eat pe mysis and hikari mega marine, but like all my predators, he also got ghosties. PE mysis is a better choice in mysis, it has a highly protein content and is meatier for predatory fish.

Like with all fish, not eating can also be a sign of internal parasites. Because he is interested it may not be that, and might be because he doesn't recognize what you are feeding as food. That's the real psychology about why some fish need to be started off with live food, they normally don't eat from the water column or recognize what you are feeding.

Last edited:

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Lion King mentioned ghost shrimp which should stir interest. Seachem "ENTICE" is also a good additive to put in food as it really does get finicky eaters going on food

OP
OP
D

drmantistoboggan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lion King mentioned ghost shrimp which should stir interest. Seachem "ENTICE" is also a good additive to put in food as it really does get finicky eaters going on food
Never heard of the entire. I’ll give that a shot. I mean he is at least trying the frozen but I’ll see about getting a few ghost shrimp

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Never heard of the entire. I’ll give that a shot. I mean he is at least trying the frozen but I’ll see about getting a few ghost shrimp
1599872875420.png

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 25.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 18.2%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 25.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back