Marine Betta

Treefer32

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Only while it is smaller if you want it to be happy. They are not big swimmers like a tang but they do get decent sized. In my experiance they are pretty slow growing.
They hate bright light. They could do o.k. in a 55 if they have a large enough cave to live in. That said, the smallest I kept one in is a 125. He'd come out everyday when I walked in the door from work and greet me then go back into his cave away from the lights.

They don't move much, they hate bright lights. They can be difficult to get eating frozen food. Mine ate frozen and almost anything I put in the tank.

OP
OP
ThRoewer

ThRoewer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice. Are they taking all foods dry and frozen?
All of my Marine Bettas were raised on TDO. Even all my wild caught ones take TDO and come begging for food when they see me.

Could i have one in a 55 gallon?
I have singles in 20 gallon tanks without problems. 55 gallon is definitely sufficient as long as you have enough caves and overhangs.

Bpfor3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here are my two, still languishing in my refugium. Going in 2 plus years. They were smaller than my pinky when i got them. They are at the end of the video. one is definitely larger. most of the time they are on separate sides of the tank, but at times i see them together.

AnxietiesCopilot

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They need enough caves and hiding spaces to feel safe but otherwise, they are about the easiest fish to keep. They do however better in tanks with calmer tankmates.
What tankmates would you suggest in a reef type setup I’ve been considering building a 120 and getting a harem of marine Betta but am not entirely sure what would work well with them

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
What tankmates would you suggest in a reef type setup I’ve been considering building a 120 and getting a harem of marine Betta but am not entirely sure what would work well with them
With mine, I have many tangs, clowns, trigger, copperband butterfly , anthias and more

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
What would be comprising the and more
I would avoid any with aggression as you likely know, bettas are very peaceful and non-conflicting in a tank setting

AnxietiesCopilot

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would avoid any with aggression as you likely know, bettas are very peaceful and non-conflicting in a tank setting
I’ve been trying to plan my stocking to work with that best I can with a few yellowfin flasher wrasse, a school of lyretail anthias, a couple spotted croucher gobies when the corals throughly established, a school of blue chromis potentially, and a few royal grammas and not the dottyback. As well as considering a tropical abalone as a cool cleaner snail, also considering a few clowns as well because I was worried they could be eaten and marked them as unsafe in the presence of a betta.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I’ve been trying to plan my stocking to work with that best I can with a few yellowfin flasher wrasse, a school of lyretail anthias, a couple spotted croucher gobies when the corals throughly established, a school of blue chromis potentially, and a few royal grammas and not the dottyback. As well as considering a tropical abalone as a cool cleaner snail, also considering a few clowns as well because I was worried they could be eaten and marked them as unsafe in the presence of a betta.
Anthias as with mine should be quite safe

leo12345

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hey quick question do you still breed them? always wanted one but the captive bred ones are sold out everywhere. would there be more available in the near future or should I just start looking for a wild caught one?
I would just get a wild caught one they are wayyy cheaper and you can get them at a decent size. Captive bred ones are like 3 inches max from all captive bred places.

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What would be comprising the and more
If you click on my build thread and follow the Reef Inhabitants link you can see what fish currently reside with my betta (including past fish no longer with me that also got along).

My marine betta is incredibly shy and peaceful (and wild caught). I've never even seen him look at another fish like it might be on the menu (and I have two dottybacks and a royal gramma that have taken up residence adjacent to his cave).

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 18 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 6.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 14.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 75 57.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.9%
Back