OP
ThRoewer

ThRoewer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s good to know. You mentioned they do better in peaceful tanks without overly competitive tankmates, what in your experience are overly competitive tankmates for them? Thanks.
Tangs and equally restless fish may cause them to hide. I had added a yellow tang to fight algae, but he would just pick fights with everyone, especially the betta male - I kicked that tang out and things went back to normal. Larger angels are fine, anemonefish in general as well...

rhdoug

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Regarding their behavior and whether they are "shy". I would say they are just not the most active fish. If I walk quickly by the tank, they are likely to dart under an overhang. If I sit on my couch near the tank, they will often come to the side of the tank closest to me and dance. They are definitely inquisitive fish. I keep them in a relatively docile tank -- 40 gallon breeder with the 2 marine bettas, two court jester gobies, two mandarins, and a filefish. All from biota.
That is a perfect description of the behavior I have witnessed with my betta. I got him about 9 years ago, also captive bred. Also in a “docile” tank.

Zionas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Winnieland (AKA “People’s” Republic of China)
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m not a big Tang person so I can totally not have a Tang of any sort. I’m much more keen on other families of fish and you don’t seem like a big fan of Tangs either. I think if I get Comets I’ll go with a pair over a trio for my first setup as they’re a hardy species (and easier to conserve space). For some of the more fragile ones I plan to get them in trios if possible because if 1 dies I can still have a pair and add a third smaller one at a later date. Starting with 2 small fish to make a pair of Comets is my plan.

MeganJoy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Odd question, have you noticed anything like a split jaw among your comets? Mine seems to have something to that degree going on. I'll try to get a picture if I can.

MeganJoy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let's try the vid again.
I'm almost wondering if it's broken.

Attachments

• 20220208_073002.mp4
    14.7 MB

Bpfor3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is an update on my Biota bettas. Started with 3. One disappeared. They currently reside in my refugium with a possum wrasse and my extensive collection of cyano.. Got them mid-October. Once they get bigger ill
Move them up to the 150 DT. Currently feed them with mysis and krill twice a day. ThRoewer had asked in the past for videos to see how his babies were doing.

OP
OP
ThRoewer

ThRoewer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is an update on my Biota bettas. Started with 3. One disappeared. They currently reside in my refugium with a possum wrasse and my extensive collection of cyano.. Got them mid-October. Once they get bigger ill
Move them up to the 150 DT. Currently feed them with mysis and krill twice a day. ThRoewer had asked in the past for videos to see how his babies were doing.

Nice! Are you sure the 3rd is gone? These guys are masters in hiding. I had large marine bettas hiding in nearly bare tanks.

OP
OP
ThRoewer

ThRoewer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let's try the vid again.
I'm almost wondering if it's broken.
Likely damage, possibly from being caught with a hook.
BTW, that fish has a serious Cryptocaryon or Amyloodinium infection, most likely the latter.

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine spends most of the day under a rock shelf or cave. He doesn't seem to be a big fan of 'people', so as soon as I leave the room (or the lights go down) he's out and about.

Doctorgori

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP …pardon me barging in, I figure the experts are here…
….I’m on my 5th surviving betta, the one I have now was raised with one other and killed “him” …
I want to pair this fish, can I try a younger one with home and do they change sex? Is it possible to order a confirmed female?

OP
OP
ThRoewer

ThRoewer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP …pardon me barging in, I figure the experts are here…
….I’m on my 5th surviving betta, the one I have now was raised with one other and killed “him” …
I want to pair this fish, can I try a younger one with home and do they change sex? Is it possible to order a confirmed female?
From all I have seen of them so far I would say they do not change sex. Adding a juvenile to an adult can work, but it isn't a sure way to get a pair.

Bpfor3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice! Are you sure the 3rd is gone? These guys are masters in hiding. I had large marine bettas hiding in nearly bare tanks.
That would be a nice surprise, but I haven’t seen it in several months. But I also haven’t stuck my hand in there to really make sure. Time will tell! Thanks for your efforts. Really enjoy them.

Zionas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Winnieland (AKA “People’s” Republic of China)
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Will you be captive breeding the Argus as well, and sending them to Biota?

By the way, off topic, but since this is another one of your (and my) favorites, to clarify Regal Angels are gonochoristic and don’t change sex right?

OP
OP
ThRoewer

ThRoewer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Will you be captive breeding the Argus as well, and sending them to Biota?

By the way, off topic, but since this is another one of your (and my) favorites, to clarify Regal Angels are gonochoristic and don’t change sex right?
It will be a while until my argus are big enough to spawn... if I have a male and a female.

As for regal angels, I got confirmation that they change sex from female to male.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 17 28.3%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 50 83.3%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 9 15.0%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 6 10.0%
  • Other

Votes: 3 5.0%
Back