Marine Betta

HarryC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very cool how long you've been working with these fish & seeing this process unfold. My LFS has a 10 year old Marine Betta that was a big motivator for my current tank build. I learned a lot reading through this thread & am now 100x more excited to have a pair.

OP
OP
ThRoewer

ThRoewer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very cool how long you've been working with these fish & seeing this process unfold. My LFS has a 10 year old Marine Betta that was a big motivator for my current tank build. I learned a lot reading through this thread & am now 100x more excited to have a pair.
I hope to get a shipment out to Biota before Christmas. These will be 10 months old and a bit larger. They already eat PE Mysis (also TDO pellets, flakes, brine shrimp, Hikari Mysis,... pretty much everything).
They sell out fast and it will be a while until I have more, so if you want some you may want to see if you can order some now and have them shipped when they come in.

HarryC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will keep a close eye on their webpage! I wanted to ask a few questions about your program and just these fish in general. Do you have any more thoughts on them being sequential hermaphrodites? I remember reading at one point that they were, then that they possibly may not be. Just curious if you had anymore findings or thoughts on that. You may have answered already and I missed it.

Zionas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Winnieland (AKA “People’s” Republic of China)
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I cannot say for sure as I have never kept them, but Roundheads both the Comet and the Assessors are listed as “unknown” by Matthew Wittenrich. At least in his view their precise sexual structure is unclear. Other basslets are listed by him as being gonochoristic (Grammas, Liopropoma) although some say these smaller basslets are protogynous hermaphrodites.
Matthew Wittenrich is the cofounder of Poma Labs.

OP
OP
ThRoewer

ThRoewer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I cannot say for sure as I have never kept them, but Roundheads both the Comet and the Assessors are listed as “unknown” by Matthew Wittenrich. At least in his view their precise sexual structure is unclear. Other basslets are listed by him as being gonochoristic (Grammas, Liopropoma) although some say these smaller basslets are protogynous hermaphrodites.
Matthew Wittenrich is the cofounder of Poma Labs.
Based on my observations, Assessors and Calloplesiops seem to be gonochoristic. With Assessors it seems males are the smaller ones. I have 2 A. randalli females together for years now, neither of them changed into a male.
I made similar observations with Calloplesiops.

OP
OP
ThRoewer

ThRoewer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Biota in Florida just received 40 Marine Bettas from me.

These are now 10 months old and already going after the larger PE Mysis. They also take TDO pellets, flakes, Hikari Mysis, frozen Brine Shrimp, and pretty much any other food they can swallow.

It will be a while before I have more and they are selling fast, so don't overthink it if you want one!

Last edited:

Bpfor3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Share some pictures! I'd love to see where the little guys end up.
Hey Thomas, my guys have settled in nicely. They know when food is coming. Probably stay in the fuge for a while unless I have aggression issues. Here is a short video. You can see 2 of them. The third is smaller. Maybe a female? Don’t worry. I know the fuge is disgusting but my DT is pristine! So don’t fret

OP
OP
ThRoewer

ThRoewer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Thomas, my guys have settled in nicely. They know when food is coming. Probably stay in the fuge for a while unless I have aggression issues. Here is a short video. You can see 2 of them. The third is smaller. Maybe a female? Don’t worry. I know the fuge is disgusting but my DT is pristine! So don’t fret

Nice! They like it swampy and tanks with lots of pods.
Usually the males are the ones occupying a specific cave pr cave system. But at this size they all like to hide at times.

reeftwincities

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very cool to learn where these come from. I have a pair of "biota" marine betta ordered from live aquaria in September. They pretty much ignore each other. One is larger than the other. Thanks for making them available!

Fasthandsslowmind

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just stumbled across this thread and read it all - Very impressive work Thomas.

I recently purchased a small marine betta from the LFS labeled BIOTA, so it must be one of yours! She's eating well, and not nearly as shy as the reputation would indicate. Only tank-mate so far is a very small Davinci Clown and they get along fine. Such a cool fish! Not the best pic yet, but here she is:

IMG_2967.jpeg

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice betta! Mine is older and definitely 'reserved', but there are a lot of "pigs" in the tank - so he just bides his time, waits for an opportunity - then slowly rises from his lair, grabs a meal and drifts back.

Definitely a smart fish. Mine hears the auto-feeder start and glides up to the feeder ring to gorge before any of the other fish realize what's happening.

OP
OP
ThRoewer

ThRoewer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thomas, what’s the best way to keep these fish? Any different if kept in a pair or a harem? And any difference in making a pair vs a harem? Thanks.
If you start with juveniles, you can keep them in a group and wait for the sexes to reveal themselves.
If you start with adults, especially wild caught, you better know the sexes of those you try to pair. In my experience, same sex parings rarely go too well, but a trio may work if it is composed of a male and two females.
I had usually success in combining one larger adult with one or several juveniles.

Doctorgori

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will keep a close eye on their webpage! I wanted to ask a few questions about your program and just these fish in general. Do you have any more thoughts on them being sequential hermaphrodites? I remember reading at one point that they were, then that they possibly may not be. Just curious if you had anymore findings or thoughts on that. You may have answered already and I missed it.

Very cool to learn where these come from. I have a pair of "biota" marine betta ordered from live aquaria in September. They pretty much ignore each other. One is larger than the other. Thanks for making them available!

If you start with juveniles, you can keep them in a group and wait for the sexes to reveal themselves.
If you start with adults, especially wild caught, you better know the sexes of those you try to pair. In my experience, same sex parings rarely go too well, but a trio may work if it is composed of a male and two females.
I had usually success in combining one larger adult with one or several juveniles.
I killed my original pair or 6yrs + …they obviously spawned several time ….
recently I started with two very small ones that grew fast and got along, thought I had a pair but at around 4” they must either sexually mature or grow intolerant… I had two males apparently and ended up with one killed …
I will follow that advice and get two more small one…and see…
anyway, thanks for this thread ….appreciate the info

reeftwincities

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Regarding their behavior and whether they are "shy". I would say they are just not the most active fish. If I walk quickly by the tank, they are likely to dart under an overhang. If I sit on my couch near the tank, they will often come to the side of the tank closest to me and dance. They are definitely inquisitive fish. I keep them in a relatively docile tank -- 40 gallon breeder with the 2 marine bettas, two court jester gobies, two mandarins, and a filefish. All from biota.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 43 35.2%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 26 21.3%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.4%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.4%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 25.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.3%
Back